RCD tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a new consumer unit fitted. its a split load with the cooker/light on the main switch side and 3 rings circuits and an ouside circuit (pumps etc).
However, now its been installed the RCD keeps tripping, but no MCBs trip. Its an 80A 30mA one. I thought it was overloading but i doubt that now as it trips when the kettle is sometimes switched on. When alot of things are on it also sometimes trips, but its nowhere near 80A in total on.
What can I do to find the cause? If I unplug everything then plug them back in 1 by 1, it might not trip as it only sometimes trips?. Any help would be wicked

Sponsored Links
I was going to fit myself, but bottled it. Yeh, an electrician fitted it and tested it, but I cant get in touch with him to come have a look

it's a bit mean blaming a fictitious electrician for your own screwed up consumer unit install.

you should get yourself some spurs and a stetson and make a career of this electric malarky.

Perhaps if you tell us what you really did, and maybe even some photographs of the mess you've made, we might help you out.

Sponsored Links
a neutral going back to the wrong side (e.g. a borrowed neutral from the ring for a wall light with the live coming off the lighting circuit) or a neutral to earth fault on a circuit on the RCD side are the usual culprits for RCD problems immediately after a CU upgrade.

old/dodgy appliances can be the cause too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back