Flexible pipe connector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut a 110mm soil pipe and re-connect using a flexible connector.
Toolstation sell 100mm and 150mm flexible connectors

http://www.toolstation.com/documents/search/index.html?searchstr=flexible+connector&submit=Go

I'm confused about sizing. Would the 100mm work for me. I have the standard grey pipe with a brown 90 degree elbow. The joint is leaking condensation and with limited access I considered the best solution was to cut the 2 pipes either side of the joint and reconnect with this flexible connector?
Is that wise or should I dig a hole in the wall (which risks further tiling damage) and just replace the elbow..
Thanks for looking..

Sponsored Links
100mm (nominal bore) fittings fit 110mm (outside diameter) pipe. Likewise for 150mm / 160mm.
If you are in any doubt which will fit, measure the circumference of your pipe (a piece of string will do). 110mm will be about 350mm, 160 is about 500mm.

The flexible couplings are designed to fit the pipe, not to fit over the sockets of couplings / elbows.

The joint is leaking condensation
:confused: Condensation forms on cold surfaces, it is not a leak from the pipe. If it really is condensation, it may be running down the outside of the pipe and dripping from the raised sockets of the bend. If that is the case, re-making the joints will do nothing to cure it.

I'm confident it's condensation for the following reasons.

The leaking joint is a few feet above the toilet so it cannot be from waste water..
The pipe is dry above the joint
The joint itself is not dry an the clamp on the joint is broken

I think its forming where the cold air from outside meets the warmer air in the system (Toilet, shower, sinks) and then forms on the 90 degree elbow above and trickles back down and out.

Sponsored Links
I cut the leaking joint and used one of these..

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Str...tor+PVC+to+PVC+100mm+100mm/d210/sd2849/p25396

from toolstation to reconnect both pipes and it solved the problem so it was internal condensation leaking out all along...
A callout plumber said it was water condensing on the outside of the pipe so I should insulate all of it. Impossible without causing major to fittings. So looks like he was wrong...
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back