Flexible replacement sink trap leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to replace a flexible sink trap with the following https://www.toolstation.com/extendable-connector-male-solvent-weld/p21901#full-desc

However it leaks from the elbow when in place - should it only be hand tightened or should I tighten with grips?

Having compared it to the previous sink trap it looks marginally smaller - aren't they supposed to be standard sizes (1"1/4)?

How can this be sorted please?

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_153320570.jpg
    IMG_20191001_153320570.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20191001_153332592.jpg
    IMG_20191001_153332592.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_20191001_153500427.jpg
    IMG_20191001_153500427.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 209
Sponsored Links
Bathroom basins are 11/4inch
Sinks are 11/2 inch.
Looks like yours is a basin. There is a small difference ,but the washer should compress ,hand tight to make a seal. If you have used the washer on a slightly larger diameter flexi ,you should fit a new washer and all should then be OK. I assume you are fitting it the correct way ,thin tapered end into the fitting.

Bathroom basins are 11/4inch
Sinks are 11/2 inch.
Looks like yours is a basin. There is a small difference ,but the washer should compress ,hand tight to make a seal. If you have used the washer on a slightly larger diameter flexi ,you should fit a new washer and all should then be OK. I assume you are fitting it the correct way ,thin tapered end into the fitting.

Thanks for your reply. Yes it's a bathroom basin. And yep was fitting the thin tapered end in to the fitting.
I'll try to replace the washer. Whats the name of the washer? I presume it's a 1"1/4 in size?

Yes 11/4 inch or 32mm conical washer for a waste compression fitting. They also vary slightly from manufacturers believe it or not !! If I were you I would take the flexi and the washer to a plumbers merchant ,or buy a new elbow which comes complete with washers and slip rings.
Is your washer a very loose fit on the pipe ?

Sponsored Links
Yes 11/4 inch or 32mm conical washer for a waste compression fitting. They also vary slightly from manufacturers believe it or not !! If I were you I would take the flexi and the washer to a plumbers merchant ,or buy a new elbow which comes complete with washers and slip rings.

I wouldn't say very loose just not as snug as the old pipe.

Got any PTFE tape ? If so wrap several times around the rubber seal ,the thin wedge end. See if it seals up.

Got any PTFE tape ? If so wrap several times around the rubber seal ,the thin wedge end. See if it seals up.
Probably a stupid question but wrap the tape around it when it's on the pipe, so the tapes partially on the pipe and rubber seal?

Probably a stupid question but wrap the tape around it when it's on the pipe, so the tapes partially on the pipe and rubber seal?

Yes.put seal on pipe ,in the position it needs to be , (usually around 15to 20 mm of pipe after the seal ,that goes into the elbow). Then wrap tape around the seals thin end ,overlapping onto the bit of pipe that's gonna sit inside the fitting.

Yes.put seal on pipe ,in the position it needs to be , (usually around 15to 20 mm of pipe after the seal ,that goes into the elbow). Then wrap tape around the seals thin end ,overlapping onto the bit of pipe that's gonna sit inside the fitting.
Thanks for your help Terry. After trying the ptfe i realised there's a hairline crack on the pipe just below the collar. I'll have to swap this part. Quality seems very poor compared to the part it's replacing!

Attachments

• IMG_20191001_191155730.jpg
    IMG_20191001_191155730.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 201

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back