Flickering bulbs in pendant fitting

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by Dylan T, 2 Aug 2021.

1. Dylan T

Dylan T

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all - I’ve just changed two pendants in my living area (one either end) to some basic screwfix bayonet cheapies. Previous owners’ electrics were pretty shoddy, with earths going to loop and the looped lives just taped together back up in the ceiling. So I’ve connected all back up what you’d expect to be quite straight forward and something I’ve done a bunch of times. However now the bulbs are flickering no matter I’d they’re LED or old filament. And I’m not talking the occasional flicker but strobing you’d get on some dimmers. One of the lights is a dimmer but that’s not the one flickering! Anyone got any ideas?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. oldbutnotdead

oldbutnotdead

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Most likely is a bad contact somewhere- arcs, warms, opens circuit, cools, closes circuit, repeat. Take fittings off, check you haven't got any snapped cores (give the bare copper a good tug with pliers), terminate, check with meter before powering up.

4. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Check all connections for security in the light fittings you have swapped and if you have swapped switches, check these too.