Flickering fluorescents

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have a friend's office fitted with four of THESE

One of the employees complains that he can see them flickering all the time - no one else can.

I have read that fitting electronic starters will stop the flickering.
Does that mean ALL the time or only when starting?

Also read that SS and HF should not be on the same circuit - is that true ?
If true, I cannot fit HF because of other offices on the circuit.

Do you know if there are one, two or four starters in each fitting?

If replacing starters for electronic is not a solution, is there anything else that can be done?

Sponsored Links
Electronic starters make the lamp last longer as they do not allow the lamps to strike until the cathodes are warm. Also the lamps are shut off when at the end of their life so there is no flicker.
They do not turn the fitting into a HF fitting so there will still be a flicker at mains frequency which some people are susceptable to. Some HF fitting manufacturers recommend that the fittings are not wired on the same circuit as s/start you could check.
There are usually four starters in a 4x18w fitting but they will be series starters.

Sponsored Links
there will still be a flicker at mains frequency which some people are susceptable to

I can see this flickering, can be annoying when working under a magnetic fluorescent fitting for a long time, but useful in identifying which are HF and which are magnetic at a glance. It's more pronounced on older magnetic ballasts than new ones

I would drop in one of those fittings Owain linked too (or the CEF tamlite ones are equally cheap and nasty, but HF still) and see if he complains about the new fitting - if he does, he's out of luck.

The tamlite ones work fine on the same circuit as s/start, not sure what the MI's say though

it might also help if the employee is seated facing away from the ceiling lights or given an LED desk lamp.

What tubes are you using
Triphosphor tubes are superior to the older halophospher tubes and may cure the problem

Sometimes a quick and dirty answer can be to cover the ends of the tubes. Worth a try as costs nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back