fluorescent light - newly installed flickering tube

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The tubes and the light itself is brand new from toolsation. I fitted the light myself since the old wasn't bright enough really. It's a twin 36w light fitting. The problem is one of the tubes don't light up at all and the other keeps flickering. I swapped the tube that doesn't light up for the one that does, it's now flickering as well.

I have read starters can causes such issues, how do I know the starters that was included are correct? Just in case the monkey at the factory wasn't paying attension. It's a 64523 on this http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Lig...scent+Light+IP65+1200+Twin/d220/sd2768/p64523

aslo these lamps
Sylvania Luxline Plus Triphosphor Fluorescent Tube T8 3350Lm 36W 1199mm

Sponsored Links
Have seen fluoro tubes dancing about a bit until they settle down. They don't really like the cold that much and take a little time to warm up.

Switch starter issues can cause the lamp to extinguish and then strike again but shouldn't occur with a new starter.
As long as the the wattage on the starters covers the wattage of the tube then they ought to be fine, I take it you have tried swopping the starter over to see if the other lamp will strike?

Have seen fluoro tubes dancing about a bit until they settle down. They don't really like the cold that much and take a little time to warm up.

yup used to see the same in my sparky days
Room full of Brand new fittings and everyone of them flashing like crazy and taking an age to start
common denominators were
1}they were always brand new
2)It was winter and they were fresh out the cabin and as spark123 has said......Cold fittings dont like the cold (Tube related I think)

they all would tend settle after a couple of days though and never give the same problem again, well apart from when the tube was goosed

Matt

Sponsored Links
Oh I forgot to mension on the side that does light up, I notcied the starter seems to give off a purple glow when you first switch it on but then disappears. I have also tried to swapp the starters other it still doesn't light up

The purple glow is entirely normal, as one side isn't working then take it back, if you have drilled it etc then you may be able to just swop the gear tray- ask them first

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back