Fluorescent Tubes (linked lights) will not start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do hope that someone may be able to help with this problem. I have kitchen under unit lighting comprising four linked fluorescent units. They are all the same make and use T8 triphosphor tubes. The array, controlled by a single on/off switch, is made up of 18”/15w to 36”/30W to 18”/15w to 36”/30W. Everything has been working fine for years until recently when the 18” tubes started to fail (to start). I have replaced them about four times now, but each time they last only about three weeks before failing. I have eliminated the starters as the problem. The 36” tubes are unaffected! Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
This is only from my personal experience (as I have not had calls to them) but I had exactly the same problem with them ( including different lengths ) in a couple of our kitchens & came to the conclusion that they (lamps & fittings )had a short life span. I would not recommend them to anyone or use them again.

how have you eliminated the starters, common problem is wrong starter, post pic of the starters.
Id quess you have posibly fitted series starters

This is only from my personal experience (as I have not had calls to them) but I had exactly the same problem with them ( including different lengths ) in a couple of our kitchens & came to the conclusion that they (lamps & fittings )had a short life span. I would not recommend them to anyone or use them again.
Disagree :), switch start fittings last years, usually till the choke burns out through old age

Sponsored Links
how have you eliminated the starters, common problem is wrong starter, post pic of the starters.
Id quess you have posibly fitted series starters
I would agree. Had it before where although the starter said it was correct replacement it was no good with tubes in series. Once real correct starter was located all worked as it should.

Thanks Eric and Rocky.. Investigated series starters a bit more. I had in BG FSU so tried BG FS2 from TLC. Still didn't work, though it seemed to me it should have done. Finally bought Sylvania FS 11 universal from Screwfix (rec for series as well. Seems to have done the trick!

Fsu (fleurescent starter universal] should have done the trick, maybe a dodgy starter.
Series starters are only for when TWO tubes are connected to ONE choke, very rare in a domestic situation.
Your fittings although linked is not the same thing and do NOT need series starters.

Fs11 is not a series starter anyway, its similar to a bg fsu for tubes but slightly better when using CFL lamps between 18 and 36 watt, not relevant in your case.

Anyway glad you sorted it

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back