Flies coming in through cooker hood!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help!
Any ideas anybody. We have tiny flies getting in through our cooker hood from the outside ventilation pipe. The vent supposedly has a fly screen on, but they are so small they are still coming through!
When you get home each day you have about 20 or 30 in the kitchen.
Any suggestions????

Sponsored Links
Can you slip a piece of your stockings over the inlet? Nothing will get through any weave that small. I think the bugs you refer to are often called 'thunder bugs'.

Can you slip a piece of your stockings over the inlet? Nothing will get through any weave that small. I think the bugs you refer to are often called 'thunder bugs'.

I don't wear stockings...who started that rumor!!! LOL
Thank for the advice though,sounds like the answer.
Guess it's time for the wife to strip!

could they be living on congealed grease inside the duct or hood, or attracted by food smells?

Give it a good clean.

You can also get spray-on insecticide that leaves a film of insect killer on the surface, I think it kills them through their feet. "Dethlac" and "Vapona" brands.

Sponsored Links
This is the perfect time of year for woodworm (furniture) bettles to be mooching about. After 1st hand experience, you need to find where they're coming from to stop them fully. I found the floorboards under my toilet were riddled with woodworm holes - treated joists and replaced floorboards, and all seems well.....touch wood. ;)

could they be living on congealed grease inside the duct or hood, or attracted by food smells?

Give it a good clean.

You can also get spray-on insecticide that leaves a film of insect killer on the surface, I think it kills them through their feet. "Dethlac" and "Vapona" brands.

Yep JohnD I think the draw for them is the grease and cooking smells. Think I'll try the stockings, deathlac and a new outside vent.

thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back