floating earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
hope this isn't going to sound like a daft question. I have googled, Wiki'd etc but am still none the wiser. I am trying to feed my secondary Sky output into my tv card on the pc. I have fed VHS and camcorder into it with no problems but it isn't overly happy with Sky. I have a lot of what looks like interlacing that i have tried filtering out but can't. During much muttering and fiddling, checking cable joints etc i found that as i disconnected the ariel cable i got a mild shock from any of the joints as they parted company. I asked a sparky from work who told me i have a floating earth. As i said above i have tried doing my own research but am as clueless as i was before. Is it easy to trace, expensive to fix etc?? ANY help appreciated at this point.

Sponsored Links
The sky decoder feeds a voltage on the cable, to the transponder in the dish, this is probably the cause of your shock.

Jaymack

thanks for the reply jaymack but i have done a little more research, turned off the voltage to the RF2 and it has made no difference. I have tried swapping the primary and secondary feed to see if that makes any difference with no result Had a fiddle with the multimeter (first time without getting zapped too!) and i seem to be getting a backfeed from the tv card. Can't specify voltage but it's enough to hurt. No problem until i pick up the other cable to join the two then owwww!

Sponsored Links
I have the same problem, and I've never really got to the bottom of it. I first noticed it when I was leaning on my PC case to plug the aerial into the back and got some tingling/mild shocks from my contact with the case. When I'm plugging and unplugging the aerial connections from the TV, video or PC I just be careful not to be touching anything else which is grounded or I get a noticeable shock. At the time I discovered the problem I was going to look at various options to solve the problem, including bonding the aerial sheath to hold it down to the same potential as the electrical earth (a hi-fi buff told me that they do similar things to reduce interference) but I never got around to it. Having said all that, I get a perfect TV picture even with the effect still present so I'm not sure that this is the cause of your interference problem....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back