SWA- T&E Joint Earth

Sponsored Links
Don't forget you need to also earth the armour of the SWA too.

The SWA is clipped to a wall 3m above the ground so is not going to be penetrated by anything metal, so did not think it would require earthing??

If it does, can an earth wire be connected from the earthing ring on the gland into the existing earth joint in the junction box??

That's the general idea.

Piranha nuts are also available for connection within an enclosure.

The SWA is clipped to a wall 3m above the ground so is not going to be penetrated by anything metal, so did not think it would require earthing??

What, exactly, is the point of an SWA cable if the armour is not earthed?

The only reason I used SWA Cable is because of the outdoor environment, not right to T&E outdoors but mechanical protection, surely is unnesessary. Can you tell me what could possibly happen to a cable which is clipped to a wall, visable and out of reach

The only reason I used SWA Cable is because of the outdoor environment, not right to T&E outdoors but mechanical protection, surely is unnesessary. Can you tell me what could possibly happen to a cable which is clipped to a wall, visable and out of reach

I could shoot it with a crossbow?

Why use SWA if the mechanical protection isn't required?

Actually, scratch that question, hituff is pricy. Still, you should always earth it.

Sponsored Links

I could shoot it with a crossbow?

Why use SWA if the mechanical protection isn't required?

Actually, scratch that question, hituff is pricy. Still, you should always earth it.

ok point taken better to be safe hand sorry!!!

Piranha nut on the gland, then earth wire into my existing earth wire joint in the enclosure.....

The only reason I used SWA Cable is because of the outdoor environment, not right to T&E outdoors but mechanical protection, surely is unnecessary. Can you tell me what could possibly happen to a cable which is clipped to a wall, visible and out of reach

A metal / alloy ladder could be dropped on it, a lightning strike, a rat chewing, a cat chewing, an eagle clawing, a burglars hob nailed boots.

It's irrelevant that you 'think' the cable is safe and out of harms way. SWA needs earthing !

So in the jb for the te to swa connection-

Provide a metal box
Gland the swa correctly and the swa will earth to the box
Terminate the TE earth and swa core earth on a stud fixed to the box- if the box is painted make sure you remove the paint around both the swa gland and the earth stud (so contact is metal to metal).

It would appear that you have done this work yourself rather than getting a sparks to do it for you. That's naughty because:-

You can't test the circuit correctly
The work is Part P notifiable
It's becomes an unsafe installation by virtue of no testing
You intimated that you would use a spark and as such people helping you won't be doing so again.

It would appear that you have done this work yourself rather than getting a sparks to do it for you. That's naughty because:-

You intimated that you would use a spark and as such people helping you won't be doing so again.

Maybe I speak for myself here but I'd sooner he came back here for advice rather than cause danger to himself or others.

I certainly won't be ignoring any further requests for help. Afterall, it is a DIY forum and most of us are here to help.

Just bear in mind, it's a long way to fall from a moral high horse.

Maybe I speak for myself here but I'd sooner he came back here for advice rather than cause danger to himself or others.
I'd sooner he went somewhere else

Afterall, it is a DIY forum and most of us are here to help.
That would have worked fine, had he been honest and upfront about what he was doing.

But he chose to lie to us, so as far as I'm concerned he can rot.

I certainly won't be ignoring any further requests for help. Afterall, it is a DIY forum and most of us are here to help.

Just bear in mind, it's a long way to fall from a moral high horse.

I accept that sometimes the OP's will tell porkies- If they posted "I'm going to do notifiable work myself without testing and without telling the LABC" then some will not give any help out !

I would, but where is the line between advice and encouraging illegal work which could be dangerous ?

Given a choice between someone acting blindly and with ignorance, I would always offer help so that even if the work shouldn't have been done then at least I've offered insight in to making the job as up to scratch as possible.

It's a bit sad that the op has chosen to lie and that's the issue.

I am installing the cable and the electrician is going to fix consumer in the garage and connect up to house main, test and certificate etc...and before you say it as you always do...The authorities have been notified

So please inform me of when I lied!!!!!!!!
[/b]

All the way through.

The fact that you kept ignoring the questions you were asked.

The fact that your story is riddled with inconsistencies.

The fact that you think we'd believe that an electrician would "certificate" work done by someone who clearly has no idea what he's doing and that such a person could put a convincing case forward for P1 compliance on an application for Building Regulations approval.

The fact that you said "I will be employing a qualified electrician to do the main work" and yet here you are installing cables outside (badly), making joints in external enclosures (when you don't know how), doing circuit design work (when you don't have a clue).

The fact that you said "I am well aware of the regs and what is involved legally"; the law (as you know) requires you to make reasonable provision in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Maybe you think you can manage to do that when you don't know what you're doing, but I doubt many people would agree. We've seen how you don't know what you're doing regarding installation, and we can also see from "Should I run an additional earth cable from the consumer unit to the joint, to address this problem and if so what size earth cable???" that you're trying to do design work and can't do that either. Well aware of the regs and what is involved legally? If so then you've made a conscious decision to ignore them, and to link that claim to "I will be employing a qualified electrician to do the main work" is disingenuous.

I don't believe a word you say.

No I was just ignoring you because you were ready for an argument right from my original question and are just an idiot

Sorry to dissapoint but the work was completed and certificated yesterday by the electrician and he was very impressed with my joints and the enclosures!!!

I don't care what you believe so will continue to ignore you

***hole

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back