SWA 2 core or 3 core

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What is the equivalent SWA of regular twin and earth cable; 2 core with the armour used as the earth, or 3 core SWA with one of the cores used as an earth?

I plan to replace the existing T&E cable which is clipped to a fence in conduit; with SWA, instead clipping it to a wall behind the fence. The cable will connect to an exterior plastic RCD junction box around 15 metres away from the house. From this it will then feed a couple of exterior sockets and a couple of LED lighting circuits.

Would 6mm2 SWA be adequate for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the load and what circuit is the SWA going to be connected to?

What is the load and what circuit is the SWA going to be connected to?

Thanks for the reply.
Load wise, there will be a couple of 13A sockets (lawn mower, odd phone charge whilst sat outside, maybe plug in lights), and a lighting circuit for low voltage garden lights.

Currently the existing cable is a feed from the 'garage' breaker from the main house (the junction box on the outside where the garage SWA is connected to the house)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

What is the equivalent SWA of regular twin and earth cable; 2 core with the armour used as the earth, or 3 core SWA with one of the cores used as an earth?

I plan to replace the existing T&E cable which is clipped to a fence in conduit; with SWA, instead clipping it to a wall behind the fence. The cable will connect to an exterior plastic RCD junction box around 15 metres away from the house. From this it will then feed a couple of exterior sockets and a couple of LED lighting circuits.

Would 6mm2 SWA be adequate for this?

Thanks

To answer your first part, I would always use have an SWA core for the earth connection, rather than just relying on the armouring. The difference in cost is minimal. The armour will also need earthing at least at one end, preferably the house, preferably both ends.

Another vote for 3 core SWA.

The armour can corrode, especially if the gland is poorly fitted.

3 core every time.

3 core from me too, in fact my local EE does not stock 2 core due to lack of sales

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back