Two core or four core SWA ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The requirement is to feed two outhouses with up to 6 Kw of power to each.

SWA buried

Each outhouse will have its own 32 amp MCB at the house. No RCD on these circuits in the house.

The outhouses have a party wall so a single 4 core cable could be run and the pairs separated to the two RCD equiped consumer units, one on each side of the party wall.

Or two separate 2 core cables could be used.

10mm is within the budget.

Earthing will be TT at the outhouses. SWA earthed at the house end.

Are there any reasons not to use 4 core ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
One outhouse will be my workshop and garage and the other will be rented out to a florist as a shop. ( all planning consents etc in place ) So isolation of one or the other from the house is required.

I'd run 2 cables, in that case, to avoid being forced to cut off both buildings if anything needed to be done at a common point upstream of them.

And I'd at least have the florist's supply (are you metering it, BTW?) removed from the house CU. They're a business, paying you for facilities - they should not be dependent on a supply which you may have to interrupt for reasons which are nothing to do with them.

Using two cables may "complicate" the situation as regards appearance of the building which is grade 2 listed.

The supply to the florists will not initially be metered.

The design allows for any CU to be easily isolated without affecting any of the other three

The meter tails will feed a 4 way consumer unit.

This will have with two 45amp MCBs feeding the two consumer units for the house and two 32amp MCBs feeding the two out house consumer units.

OK - I envisaged 2 x 32A breakers in the (only) house CU, which would be tricky if that ever needed turning off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back