cabling swa to cu from outhouse

BTW, I got the engineer to look at this thread and he laughed. Especially at the notion that a SWA does not ever need RCD protection. He said they are clearly hands-on sparks not engineers who have to come up with solutions.
The thing is it is not he who is posting advice here, it is you.

And therefore it behoves you to understand it and to answer questions about it.

If he would care to join and discuss it, and contribute to peoples learning and improve the body of knowledge here then let him do so.

But in the meantime, as you have taken it upon yourself to give advice will you, (unless you can credibly show that they are idiotic or rubbish) please answer these questions:
  1. Is there a regulation which requires an RCD on an armoured cable?
  2. How is having an RCD in a separate building compliant with 314.1 (i)?
  3. What types of fault will a 100mA delayed RCD at the house clear, and who and/or what will be protected against what risks by doing that?

Sponsored Links
I can't believe the childishness of these Qs..

The house RCD has two functions:

1. Protects the SWA cable
2. A backup in case the outhouse RCD fails.

That is obvious, but not to you. Have you sent any more insulting PMs lately?

I can't believe the childishness of these Qs..
Will you please post a rational explanation which shows why these questions are childish:
  1. Is there a regulation which requires an RCD on an armoured cable?
  2. How is having an RCD in a separate building compliant with 314.1 (i)?
  3. What types of fault will a 100mA delayed RCD at the house clear, and who and/or what will be protected against what risks by doing that?
?

Why does it need that protection?

Is there a regulation which requires it to have that protection?

How important is it to have a backup? Have you done an analysis of failure modes, or a risk analysis in which you consider the probability of such a failure, the level of risk which would result and compared that to the risks consequent on contravening 314.1 (i) and 531.2.9?

What about CUs in general - shouldn't they all have 2 RCDs in series where they currently have 1, i.e. 4 in the common dual RCD board used these days, to guard against failure of one?

Is that what your superb electrical engineer friend does for his designs for CUs?

That is obvious, but not to you.
Do you have any reasonable theories explaining why it is not obvious to the IET Wiring Regulations committee?

Have you sent any more insulting PMs lately?
Whether I have, or have not, and whether anyone's interpretation of them would or would not be that they were insulting, can you provide a reason why that would prevent you from answering the questions I keep asking you?

Well as colin doesn't seem to wan't to answer your questions, I might as well.

Is there a regulation which requires an RCD on an armoured cable?

No

How is having an RCD in a separate building compliant with 314.1

It isn't

What types of fault will a 100mA delayed RCD at the house clear

Mechanical damage to SWA, the same as an OCPD would.

and who and/or what will be protected against what risks by doing that?

There will be no difference what so ever between an OCPD and an RCD clearing the fault. Infact a normal OCPD would probably clear the fault quicker than a 500ms TD RCD

Why does it need that protection?

It doesn't

Is there a regulation which requires it to have that protection?

No there isn't

Ha ha! I must go get an extra set of brakes fitted to my car incase my first brakes don't work

Sponsored Links
Ha ha! I must go get an extra set of brakes fitted to my car incase my first brakes don't work
I was under the impression that most cars these days DID have two cylinders and seperate hydralic circuits for them so if there was a hydralic failure you would only lose half the brakes

I guess that's why I never work on the brakes on my car. Because I don't have the knowledge to carry out the work safely, just like Colin and electrics come to think of it :?:

Well as colin doesn't seem to wan't to answer your questions, I might as well.
Oh look, CJ - someone was able to read, understand, and answer my questions.

Care to explain why you thought I was babbling?

Was it because you have such a poor grasp of electrical design & installation that you simply could not begin to understand them?

You would have thought that his "superb engineer" could have helped him out while they were reading this toggether.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back