cabling swa to cu from outhouse

Sponsored Links
By me in the 2002 house, the cable to the detached garage drops out of the side of the house about 1 metre from the drive way and drops down. A car could easily hit it. :LOL:
Then provide it with appropriate mechanical protection, as the regulations require you to do.

Imagine a spade or fork through the cable in an outhouse shorting live to earth.
Is it OK if I also imagine the fault loop impedance being OK and the circuit OPD operating?

Spot sqirming. :LOL:
No - spot someone who recognises that a L/E fault will be cleared by the OPD, and that if because of excessive EFLI it will not then the answer is to fix the fault loop problem, not bung in an RCD sticking plaster.

Is there a regulation which requires an RCD? After all, only the regs matter.

And accusing others of wriggling will not disguise the fact that you still haven't answered these:
  • How is having an RCD in a separate building compliant with 314.1 (i)?
  • What types of fault will a 100mA delayed RCD at the house clear, and who and/or what will be protected against what risks by doing that?

By me in the 2002 house, the cable to the detached garage drops out of the side of the house about 1 metre from the drive way and drops down. A car could easily hit it. :LOL:
Then provide it with appropriate mechanical protection, as the regulations require you to do.

Indeed there are regulations covering the height of cables suspended above ground over which vehicles can traverse.

I don't have my 17th with me (as usual) but from memory, in the 15th, it was 5.2m.

Sponsored Links
I gave the options given by a superb elec engineer to the same scenario.

No you didn't, you gave the option of an idiot, who cannot seem to construct a simple circuit to an out building. Seeing as you decided that this advice was worthy of passing on and that you believe that this "designer" is superb, I am of the firm beleif that you must stop giving bad and poor advice.

I am of the belief that he is superb and you give bad advice.

Three options. Take your choice.

Say no more, you clearly are an idiot in that case. You cropped my post, mainly because it highlighted how much of a tool you are which is a bit of a shame as it included some useful information which showed how you (and your supurb engineer :?: ) were incorrect, , pity your brain couldn't digest it. You have no understanding of what you are trying to comment on, just because some rookie idiot did some dodgy wiring for your cousin doesn't make him sparky of the year, even if he was the cheapest quote you had. He has designed (and installed) a circuit/installation which fails to comply with BS7671, I think BAS has posted the reg number/s, perhaps you should get the book and read it :rolleyes: Please dont give advise to people based on your cousins balls up, it isn't fair that everyone should have a bodged up, inconvenient, badly design and non-compliant installation like them.

Indeed there are regulations covering the height of cables suspended above ground over which vehicles can traverse.

I don't have my 17th with me (as usual) but from memory, in the 15th, it was 5.2m.

These house were 2002 and new builds. The cable was armored with no other protection.

These house were 2002 and new builds. The cable was armored with no other protection.
And therefore possibly non-compliant. The fact that they were new builds in 2002 doesn't mean that whatever was done would naturally comply with the wiring regulations.

After all, even superb electrical engineers can be shown to have got it wrong at times.

Electrical design engineer. I gave the options.
So you keep pointing out.

And people have given their opinions of those 3 options, so there's no need for you to repeatedly say that you gave 3 options - we all know you did.

Please stop squiriming.
  • Is there a regulation which requires an RCD on an armoured cable? After all, only the regs matter.
  • How is having an RCD in a separate building compliant with 314.1 (i)?
  • What types of fault will a 100mA delayed RCD at the house clear, and who and/or what will be protected against what risks by doing that?
Please stop squirming and answer those questions.

Aswell as BAS 3 points to answer, I wonder when or if you supposed electrical design engineer studied BS7671 as he clearly cannot suggest one proper option for complying with it. Now you stop squirming and answer the pointers or stop helping people to make poor design descisions.

Aswell as BAS 3 points to answer, I wonder when or if you supposed electrical design engineer studied BS7671 as he clearly cannot suggest one proper option for complying with it. Now you stop squirming and answer the pointers or stop helping people to make poor design descisions.

The three point were quite clear. Pick one. I see you have joined the squiring babbling of this idiotic ban-all-sheds lunatic. Shortly after I came on this forum, he sent me abusive PMs. He needs some sort of professional attention. But this is the Internet.

The three point were quite clear. Pick one. I see you have joined the squiring babbling of this idiotic ban-all-sheds lunatic. Shortly after I came on this forum, he sent me abusive PMs. He needs some sort of professional attention. But this is the Internet.

Allow me to join in as well. You're an idiot - stop posting incorrect advice.

Allow me to join in as well. You're an idiot - stop posting incorrect advice.

Another idiot. I posted what a qualified, experienced electrical engineer recommended, which was better than what other here had posted. Then then some came back trying to rubbish the three scenarios - very unconvincingly. Take your choice of the three. Take my advice and do not join the idiot ranks. Boy they have them here. Have you received stupid insulting PMs yet?

BTW, I got the engineer to look at this thread and he laughed. Especially at the notion that a SWA does not ever need RCD protection. He said they are clearly hands-on sparks not engineers who have to come up with solutions.

The three point were quite clear. Pick one.
Whilst you carry on your tedious exchange with 1john about whether you will answer his questions or not until he "picks one", or not, I would remind you that I have responded to the "pick one" demand which you keep making, and therefore it is not I who is squirming.

It is you.

So will you please stop that now and answer these questions:
  1. Is there a regulation which requires an RCD on an armoured cable?
  2. How is having an RCD in a separate building compliant with 314.1 (i)?
  3. What types of fault will a 100mA delayed RCD at the house clear, and who and/or what will be protected against what risks by doing that?

I see you have joined the squiring babbling of this idiotic ban-all-sheds lunatic.
I can't see any definition of "babbling", or "idiotic" or "lunatic" in the dictionary which could in any even remotely reasonable way be applied to
  3. What types of fault will a 100mA delayed RCD at the house clear, and who and/or what will be protected against what risks by doing that?

Shortly after I came on this forum, he sent me abusive PMs. He needs some sort of professional attention. But this is the Internet.
The comment I made about you was in response to the lies you told in a series of posts which a number of people found unacceptable and which the moderators decided to be removed.

But be that as it may, can you show, without using any ad hominem fallacies why these are not valid questions to ask you:

If you cannot show a valid reason why they are invalid, will you answer them?

Or do you think that you can continue to try and evade them by accusing me of squirming or being a lunatic?

If you think you'll try the latter again, do you, in your private thoughts, honestly believe that your behaviour has any credibility?

Just stop squirming and answer the questions, please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back