Must SWA terminate in metal clad box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just double checking something before I run some cable out for garden lights and feed to garage.

Any time I have read about using SWA, Ive always seen it told that it must terminate in a metal clad junction box (say when changing from T+E to SWA) But I dont know If ive picked it up wrong.

Would it be suitable to bore a hole through to outside, run T+E from inside direct to plastic IP68 junction box, then swa from here to termination (lights) Using an earth from T+E to the earthing tag or phiranna nut without the junction box its self being metalic?

talking 3 core SWA where one of the cores will be earth, not talking about using the Steel wire as an earth feed to lights.

Sponsored Links
You've picked it up wrong.

A metal box is handy, especially indoors, as earthing the armour is easier with a metal box (use a banjo).

Outdoors, etc I use a WISKA box.
These are great as they are already threaded, so you screw the gland straight into the box.

There is an earth adaptor bar to go inside if you need to earth the armour at the box end. http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKEC308.html or are using the armour as the earth for the circuit.

Note the armour MUST be earthed at the source end.

Would it be suitable to bore a hole through to outside, run T+E from inside direct to plastic IP68 junction box, then swa from here to termination (lights) Using an earth from T+E to the earthing tag or phiranna nut without the junction box its self being metalic? talking 3 core SWA where one of the cores will be earth, not talking about using the Steel wire as an earth feed to lights.
That sounds fine - the box doesn't have to be metal. The only real issue I can think of is that your box probably won't be IP68 any more after you've drilled a hole in the back (which I think is what you're proposing), so you need to give some thought to the rear cable entry/sealing etc.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thats great guys thanks v.much.

yip, that was pretty much my other thought on the IP of the box as well. Although Im sure the one I had the other day had a pot for cut out on the back, If i could get one like that theres no prob getting a waterproof gland on the back and boring a larger hole for an inch or two on the outside but I may not be thinking about the IP68 box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back