Floating floor over insulation - polystyrene?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My extension will have a floating chipboard floor over solid insulation over concrete. In order for the bricks to course up, I have a depth of 150mm for the insulation and the chipboard. Could I save money by using a thinnish phenolic layer and a polystyrene layer? Anyone know where I can find u-values for polystyrene?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Tony

Sponsored Links
you'll only save money in the short term..
use PIR or PUR foam rather than polystyrene.. it's much stronger and much better U values..

125mm of jablite/polystyrene will give you the required U-value on your extension floor + 22mm flooring sorted ;)

MINIMUM required, but is there any rules about going above and beyond?
is there any advantage to doubling the minimum?

Sponsored Links
Expanded polystyrene ( white and crumbly ) U values

50 mm = 0.8
100 mm = 0.4

Extruded Polystyrene ( usually blue /light yellow and hard ) U values

50 mm = U 0.6
100 mm = U 0.3

PUR

50 mm = U 0.5
100 mm = U 0.25

@ColJack

With PUR being 400%- 500% more expensive than EXP for a 60% improvement in insulation value, you really do need to put some numbers to where you think heating costs are going, especially when talking about a floor which is going to be cooler ( assuming no UFH ) than the rest of the structure and therefore losing less heat per m2.

I'm not sure I've got my head around this U-value thing yet. But would I be right in thinking that 125mm polystyrene is U 0.32 ?

My thinking:

if Polystyrene 50mm = U 0.8

then

polystyrene 25mm = U 1.6

so for 125mm (5 x 25mm)

5 x 1/1.6 = R

1/R = 0.32

But I thought the floor had to be U 0.22
Is this something to do with the P/A ratio that I don't understand?

You have mainly got it but in an unusual fashion.

Iit is difficult to work with U other than for heat loss, soI prefer to use R as you can just add R values together and then revert to the final U value..

1) The relationship is that R x U always = 1

2 Therefore 50 mm exp polystyrene has a U of 0.8 and so a R of 1.25.and 25 mm has a value of half of this i.e. R 0.625

125 mm exp polystyrene has an R value of 5 x 0.625 = R 3.125

Using 1) the U value of 125 mm exp polystyrene is 1/3.125 = U 0.3 (approx) .

Current build up gives you

1) 125 mm exp poly = R 3.125
2) 22 mm chipboard = R 0.17
3)Surface Resistance = R 0.10

Total = R 3. 4 ( approx) = U 0.3

If you need U 0.22 ( and I don't know the regs ) and you want to stick with exp poly, then you need, 175 mm which changes first line of above calc to R = 4.375 and the total R to 4.65, just a touch more than needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back