garage conversion, flooring insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing a garage conversion and have a depth of 200mm to bring it up to the same level as the existing house. I want to put in a floating chipboard floor. The easiest and cheapest way, with the highest insulation value, would seem to be fill the space up with polystyrene/Celotex sheets. Is this depth of polystyrene between the existing concrete floor and chipboard likely to settle at all? I know it works ok with at least 50mm but what about 175mm with chipboard on top? Anyone done this? Dave S

Sponsored Links
Why floating chipboard?

In my estimation, the simplest and cheapest way is to fit 125mm of jablite polystyrene insulation with a 75mm screed on top.

Hi Dave. We've just converted our garage too and done a kitchen extension so we had a similar issue with our flooring.

I'm not overly technical to be perfectly honest so I went to our our local Build Center up the road from us because their more trade than DIY and thought they might have abit more of a clue about what I need. They were really good to be honest, we got everything we needed for the complete job and the prices were really reasonable - if you go in and tell them exactly what your trying to do with it, they'll tell you what you need and will give you a price there and then.

I use the Wolverhampton branch but they've got branches all over i think. Not sure where you're based but you can find your nearest one on the Internet

Hope this helps you Dave!

Sponsored Links
I've used 170mm jablite in eaxactly the same siuation and it's still perfect after 10 years with no settlement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back