Floating floor repair..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a floating floor in my downstairs toilet area which due to a small water leak that remained undetected has damaged a section of the floor to the point i now have a hole that is about 2ft x 3 ft wide. Underneath the flooring is polystyrene blocks so there is no joists in which to attach the new flooring.

As with modern houses, the floors are laid, and then the walls are built onto which means the flooring goes under the walls. My problem now is while I can cut out the damaged area and fit new, there is nothing to screw the new boarding onto, and hence it's likely to move.

now the room its self it 7ft x 4 ft so i could lay the new floor and then put some thin plywood over the entire area which I could then use to secure the floor in place but i'm not sure if this is the right thing to do.

Clearly, i'm not going to take the walls down so i need to find a solution that will work.

Any advice would be much apreshated.

Thanks in advanced.

Sponsored Links
Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2070.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2070.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail_IMG_2071.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2071.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 62
  • thumbnail_IMG_2072.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2072.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 66
So here is what I’m thinking of doing. First of all, because the floor was tiled it means I have 6mm gap between current wall tiles and the floor since the tiles have now been removed and are not going back down.

I fill in the gap with new chipboard 18mm to match current chipboard. Next I apply a 5.5 mm plywood over the entire floor surface. Next I screw down the plywood to the current floor with 20mm wood screws. Screw every 10 inch across the entire surface. This should ensure the new chipboard is held into place on the floating floor and I end up with an even floor and at the right height for the toilet waste no no extra work there.

I could also put in the joins of the chipboard some no nails glue to help keep things in place.

What’s peoples thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I think you may be overthinking it.
If the subfloor is replaced with reasonable accuracy it won’t wander off on it’s own.

houses aren’t engineered, they are chucked up.

Yep but keep in mind that the toilet base will be secure to the floor along with the wall so I don’t want the floor to be moving due to not being secure to all edges.

if it means spending £80 to make sure it’s not going to shift then I think that’s £80 well spent to be honest.

I’m not one for doing half measures and certainly not one for doing a bodge job and I want this to last.

By the time you’ve done what you are suggesting, screwed the loo down to the floor and cistern to the wall, it won’t move.

What floor covering will be going back down?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back