Floating shelf brackets - what is their weight load?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, ordering some solid oak shelves from local joinery firm. They are providing 3 hafele floating brackets per shelf, each shelf will be 44mm thick, 1300mm x 300mm. It states on the bracket info that they will hold 85kg per m². Any idea how heavy these shelves will be and if 3 brackets will be enough?

Also if they hold up the shelf will i be able to actually use it for anything based on the weight of the timber?

And lastly any advice on length of screw to use to fix them to the wall?

any advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
Personal question how heavy are you in kgs?

If you are 10 stone that will be about 69kg so a bracket could take your weight very comfortably, (that’s if you are 69kg) Do you see what I getting at ?

As a guide hardwood is 800kg m³

As a guide softwood is 500kg m³

So a single hardwood shelve 1.3 x .3 .05 = 0.0195m³ x 800 = 15.6kg

But it is worth remembering the brackets are only good for the 85kg if you fix them correctly to the wall.

This guide of mine may be of some help.

Floating Shelf
Storage shelf with concealed brackets thus giving the appearance of floating.When I have the need to produce floating shelves I have the metal brackets custom made and that is what is shown in the drawings. It is realised that not every one as the contacts to produce bespoke metal work therefore I have included the names of suppliers that produce alternative metal work.

Concealed Shelf Support

www.sdslondon.co.uk

www.hafele.co.uk

Sponsored Links
What puzzles me is how the bracket manufacturer can give a load in kg/m3

So if I fit an enormous shelf on the brackets and fill it with books it will still hold it up ! ! ! ! ! And they will recompense me for the damage when it falls down - no.

It will carry what it's fixings will carry and that is dictated by wall type and how well you fix it.

I would be more convinced that they knew what they were doing if they quoted a load in kg per bracket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back