flood protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My front doorstep is flush with the drive and with the internal floor, and very heavy rain leads to flooding. I want to fit a removable flood-resistant board, not more than 15cm high. Floodgates UK sell a gate that would do, but it's £300+ and much higher than I need. Also, the Floodgates product seems to come in a choice of bright blue, and my house, based on a C19 cottage has a black door and white walls; if I make my own flood defence I could have it in unpbtrusive black Any advice and suggestions would be welcome. The door jambs are wooden with a brick surround and the 'step' is stone.

Sponsored Links
do you have concrete floors down stairs or wooden floors with air bricks!!!!

the surrounding ground level should be below the damp proof course at around 6"down otherwise damp will prevail :cry:

I would be MUCH more inclined to fit a flush drain in front of the doorstep. You can get things lke "safetycurb" which have a sort of concealed gutter with a slotted concrete top or a metal grill that you can walk over.

Round here, the seafront cottages use a WBP ply board that slides between two battens fixed to the doorframe. Be aware that such a board does not prevent water entry, it just slows and diminishes it. You need to drain it away, or pump it away, or mop it up.

If you have any airbricks, as big-all mentions, the water will gush in trough them.

if ever you are in Chiswick, go along the road by the Thames, they have some very interesting flood doors to the front of their properties

Sponsored Links
Breezer
Thanks for that. My son lives in Chiswick and has just told me about the floogates there, as I was weeping down the phone about my latest carpet soaking. I thought that they would all be expensive and shop-bought, it being leafy Chiswick, but it sounds from what you say that there is a fair variety. I need to go down and visit and stare at some.
FrankW

maybe someone can post some pics?

We like pictures.

It would still be helpful if you answered some or all of the questions to help us understand your problem.

Thanks big-all. Concrete, fortunately, and all floors tiled, apart from the one carpeted room - needless-to-say the one with the heavy furniture: desks, filing cabinets, floor-to-ceiling bookcases, computer.
FrankW

Thank you JohnD
There is a 4 metre ACO in the middle of the drive, with a drain running into a 2 metre soakaway. It has, I think filled up with mud, muck and rubbish. I have tried rodding it, but the rods hit a barrier. I suspect the pipe turns through a severe angle on its way to the soakaway.

Your description of your seafront cottagers' response prompts me to think that might be the answer. Technically, what I get is flooding, but it's not knee-deep, with furniture floating and escape by boat; and it currently happens not more than once in 18 months. I've got some aluminium channelling I can fit and seal, and then insert a board with lengths of bike innertube or some such fixed to it. There's a good chance that would repel boarders long enough to keep my carpet dry.

It's a long time ago now, but if you read this, thanks again everyone. Breezer, Last time I visited my son I did look at the flood defences on the houses in Chiswick (ahem, while the rest of the family were in church) and found it instructive.

They all looked sort of home-made (the floodgates, not the family) but home-made by the same person, if that makes sense. Essentially, they rely on angle-iron and neoprene. I have used that model to build a similar system. I found a source of neoprene strip, and some aluminium angle section in the workshop. It looks as though it will work, but the problem now becomes: how do I know when it will be needed, so that I can test it? In Chiswick they have tide-tables, wind direction and warning if the river is in spate further upstream. Our flooding comes unannounced - but that's not a diynot issue, I imagine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back