Flood under the house... with extras.

I doubt the extractor will do a lot, as the only place where you want more airflow is exactly at the damp spot; the extractor will suck out air from all over the place.
There is also a limit to the effective use of air movement; the top layer of damp soil will only give off so much water per day, and the damp will have to come up from below the top few mm.
Increasing the existing ventilation under the floor a bit is probably the only thing that will have effect without going into serious work.

Sponsored Links
JohnD is correct, worms and bacteria will eat the food remains, bleach will surely kill them off and prolong the process.

Get air circulating under the floor and to cope with the smell inside open widows and air fresheners.

This is a perfect example of why solvent weld should be used all the times under the floor, I bet the push fit had come off and the pipe end was cut at an angle and not deburred. Who are the cowboys who do that??

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Have a word with your local tool hire shop, you may be able to hire an industrial blower for a week or two.

Anytime I've been involved with this sort of thing, which has only been about twice in 35 years and has involved raw sewage, lime was used after the subfloor had been cleaned out.

You should definately contact your insurance company though.

Sponsored Links
I agree with that Lime is very good for removing the smell, not 100% sure how but have seen it used to effect a few times in the past. I would say remove as much of the contaminateion as you can if possible and then spread a few handfuls of lime down there. Think the lime eats away all the gems and particles so use cautiously and not too much.

Once it's fully dry it won't be a problem. Ensure that your airbricks are clear, and remove a couple of floorboards to allow extra ventilation.

Lay a heavy duty damp proof polythene sheet on the soil and cover it with 50mm of sand to keep it down. I had it done to my house 18 years ago and its still very dry and doesn't smell at all. You need ventilation above it as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back