Soil smell from drains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted last week that I was getting a damp soil smell coming from the drain in my bath. A few people helpfully pointed out that this was probably caused by the trap in the bath emptying itself of water and letting the smell through. Only problem is that the smell has now appeared in the kitchen and I notice when it rains heavy outside the smell definetly gets worse - the only way I can get rid of it is to keep the plugs in but I am really worried about what can be causing this and if there is maybe water gathering under the house (wouldn't explain why it then only comes up the kitchen and bathroom drain?). I have another downstairs WC but no smell from that drain (although it is at the other end of the house). Any ideas folks :?:

Sponsored Links
Need more info as to the situation of your house and it`s environs ;)

House is detached and is around 12/13 years old. I have noticed that the back garden doesn't appear to drain water away well. If we have heavy rain, it seems to gather and the grass stays wet for longer than I think it should! Please let me know what other info you need.

Sponsored Links
Thanks.....well it`s a long shot but......I know some clays can be smelly..and maybe you have a manhole in your garden that for some reason is letting Groundwater in to it`s chamber,and smelling more than the usual drain smell.also maybe your drains aren`t vented properly .Like the vent pipe that goes out thru` the roof--have you got one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back