Shower drain smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks. I am looking some advice in regards to an unpleasant smell emanating from the shower in our main bathroom.

We got a full re-plumb about 36 months ago and all new bathrooms etc... and all seemed to be ok. Over the past 18 months there has been an intermittent bad smell that comes from the shower drain. I am a bit of a clean freak so the visual inspection of the shower shows it to be clean and if I use bleach or a drain un-blocker it offers a short term improvement but it keeps coming back. The shower tray is one of the very low profile trays and access to the underside will mean cutting a hole in the ceiling in the kitchen below so I am reluctant to do this until I get a better idea as to what is happening here.

There are a couple of "symptoms" that may help to explain:

1. It is an unusual smell, it is not a "pleasant" smell but equally it does not smell of sewerage.

2. Over the last 24hrs there has hardly been any bad smell and this has coincided with the fact that when the toilet is flushed the shower is not currently "gurgling". I have noticed that the shower very often gurgles when the toilet is flushed - the water, when rushing from the toilet is very audible from the shower drain.

3. The odd time the drain in the sink in this main bathroom runs slowly and the basin takes time to drain away - again an intermittent problem.

4. The actual smell and strength of the smell is also intermittent. Some days it is not there and on other occasions it is strong and I can smell it from downstairs when the bathroom door is open.

5. The shower drain in only about 5ft from the external wall where it joins into the main soil pipe for the house.

6. It is only this shower drain that smells - no other drains in the property have problems, however, it is only the shower drain that gurgles when the toilet flushes.

7. The shower drains away fine with no apparent blockages anywhere.

8. There is no sign of a visible leak anywhere with the ceiling below ok etc...

I realise that I probably just need to get a plumber out, but would be keen to get a view prior to that as to the likely cause. I have been (possibly kidding myself into) believing that it is just rotting hair etc. in the trap and that I just need to give the pipes a really good clean. But even when I bleach and use a drain cleaner (I have only done this once) it does make a slight improvement but then the smell comes back very quickly.

I appreciate that this will probably need checked out by a pro. However, I am wondering if it worth me trying to get a drain pipe cleaner and try and give the pipes a really good clean, or is it likely to be something altogether different and I would be just wasting my time.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
The water in the shower trap could be getting sucked out by the vacuum caused when the toilet is flushed.

We've got a similar issue in our bathroom - when the bath empties, the shower trap gurgles and you get a smell of drains. I keep meaning to fit an air admittance valve between the bath and the shower to stop it happening.

The water in the shower trap could be getting sucked out by the vacuum caused when the toilet is flushed.

We've got a similar issue in our bathroom - when the bath empties, the shower trap gurgles and you get a smell of drains. I keep meaning to fit an air admittance valve between the bath and the shower to stop it happening.

I have been thinking that may be one of the issues given how noisy the shower drain is when the toiled flushes. The problem I have is that I cannot see the trap as the shower is one of the low profile trays. The waste goes out the "side" of the visible drain to a trap that must be offset, so I cant tell if there is water in the trap or not. I guess sticking something down there and seeing if it comes up wet may help.

The confusing thing is that I don't think this was happening at the start when we got the work done and has only really become an issue in the last 12-18 months. That is where Squeaky's point about the vent pipe comes in but also where I thought it could be a build up of sludge over a period of time that has only started to become a more recent problem.

Sponsored Links
It might be a poor fall. Where about the shower connect to soil stack? It it next to branch to toilet? Or below?

Can you see if there is a removeable tube inside the trap?

Daniel.

It might be a poor fall. Where about the shower connect to soil stack? It it next to branch to toilet? Or below?

Can you see if there is a removeable tube inside the trap?

Daniel.

Hi Daniel, thanks for your response.

I have uploaded a folder with pics (sorry they are not great as it was pretty dark and wet). Basically the shower waste pipe is the lower one on the RHS. The pipe exits from the external wall at the same height as the toilet waste, however, it's branch where it joins into the main soil pipe is below the toilet waste .

The highest pipe that can be seen is the pipe exiting from the hand basin and it branches in above the toilet waste. The lowest pipe, shown on the LHS is the waste pipe from the bath and it branches in at the lowest point.

Not sure if this helps.

Cheers

Shower waste connection to the stack looks to be in the wrong position. There shouldn't be any connection into the stack in the area 200mm below opposite the centreline of the WC branch. Soil from the WC can (and possibly has) cause a blockage in connections in this area.

It maybe wise to get the shower connection to the stack lowered to the correct position and see how matters fare from there before doing any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back