Shower Bad Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an electric power shower over the bath. We have noticed recently that when the shower is used there is a horrible smell half way up our stairs (stairs go up over the bathroom).

I cant really say what the smell is but pretty putrid!

We have tried having the shower with the plug in the bath and let the plug out after the shower and in this circumstance we do not get the smell???? If we have a bath we don't get the smell either. It only seems to be if we have a shower with the bath plug out i.e so the shower water is being drained constantly.

I should also note that strangely the smell is not really smelt in the bathroom when it happens? Just half way up the stairs?

My fiancé has much longer showers than me and the smell seems to get far worse when she has a shower. The smell generally disappears after an hour or so.

Any suggestions? I assumed we had something down the drain and was going to give it a good clean out with some drain cleaner but I'm not sure now. Ill do this anyway but any suggestions in the mean time would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd get the wiring checked out - high load from an electric shower.

Where's your fusebox/consumer units in relation to the smell?

There's also a chance that the shower waste is syphoning out the water in the bath trap I guess, so check to see if the pong comes from there (after a shower) and that the trap has water in it.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back