Sink Drain bad smells from plughole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
hope you can help. I have a bad drain smell coming through the plug hole from the kitchen sink. It happens after the water from the sink has been emptied. The trap is clear. I have cleaned the pipes but the smell keeps coming back. Is there an air lock causing foul smells to get through the trap. Do I need an anti syphon trap??. Please help. The pipes under the sink looks like there are too many bends!

many thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Cant see but check if you have a corrugated overflow pipe. Theres usually load of carp in them.
And they stink. :LOL:

It might look a bit messy, but all those bends are required to ensure that the trap works properly - it should retain water at the bottom, which should (in theory) prevent smells from coming back out of the plug-hole.

This doesn't always work though - I had a similar issue with a similar set-up and no amount of bleach would stop the smells. It turned out that all the hoizontal pipes were almost completely blocked with fatty deposits. Presumably, the previous owners used to put a lot of their food waste/meat fats down the sink.

Have you dismantled all those screw joints and cleaned the waste pipes out properly ? Check to see if there is any fat build-up in the solvent-welded pipes too, further down the line. You might need to buy something you can put down the sink to shift that.

It might also be worth cleaning out the dishwasher adaptor and put bleach down the sink over-flow too, once everything is reassembled.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all of you for your help. I may have found the problem, the solid waste from our toilet is not always reaching the actual sewer, just sitting under the manhole cover! This may be causing bad smells getting in to the house. The waste matter only moves down the sewer when I pour water down the gulley!. Flushing the toilet did not remove it. There seems to be a flow problem carrying the solid waste from the toilet I'm not sure if the manhole is level or doesnt have the right ammount of gradient on it. May have to regularly put water down the gulley! Any other suggestions??
many thanks
John

Need to get that sewer looked at. It should have been laid to a fall (gradient) to allow the waste to flow away correctly. If its not, then you will have to keep pouring water in to get the waste to move, otherwise it'll soon block up!

What are the pipes made from? The older clayware pipes can move or crack, and root ingress can be a problem. Would suggest finding a local independant builder to have a look, big drain firms will want a fortune.....

seems like you are saying the effluent is discharging onto the bench and not into the gully proper, no way should you need to flush externally !
Ask a competent person to check the chamber out to see if it conforms to standard requirements.
A picture of the inside of the chamber would get results sooner without the consultant fees being paid.
Asfor the smell from your sink i would go along with the overflow as your problem, needs cleaning.

seems like you are saying the effluent is discharging onto the bench and not into the gully proper, no way should you need to flush externally !
Ask a competent person to check the chamber out to see if it conforms to standard requirements.
A picture of the inside of the chamber would get results sooner without the consultant fees being paid.
Asfor the smell from your sink i would go along with the overflow as your problem, needs cleaning.
Erm...you really need to look at the date of the last post before replying, if they haven't got it fixed, replaced, possibly pulled down since then then they're in trouble ;)

Erm...you really need to look at the date of the last post before replying, if they haven't got it fixed, replaced, possibly pulled down since then then they're in trouble ;)
Although that is an old post, we are having similar issues, so it's handy that people are still adding to this as it might help us solve our problems. Our house is only 5 years old, but in the 6 months that we have been here we've found all kinds of dodgy plumbing work. Not even looked at the drains yet!

Whoops, I got caught out with that too but in my defence, I replied to a post just 30 minutes earlier and didn’t look at the date of the original post. :whistle:

Last edited:
[QUOTE="Ceen here we've found all kinds of dodgy plumbing work. Not even looked at the drains yet![/QUOTE]

Although that is an old post, we are having similar issues, so it's handy that people are still adding to this as it might help us solve our problems. Our house is only 5 years old, but in the 6 months that we have been here we've found all kinds of dodgy plumbing work. Not even looked at the drains yet!

Appreciate that but the forum rules dictate that old posts shouldn't be resurrected. https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/forum-rules-general-info.19448/
Nothing stopping the old thread being linked to of course, if a comment is ultimately required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back