unpleasant smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I seem to get an unpleasent smell when i use the main bathroom sink. this sink drainage pipework is the furthest away from the internal stack and have 2 showers and another sink joining into the run before it meets the soil stack.

the smell does not come from the sink in question but seems to come from one of the showers further down the run. i have no leaks so was wondering how i could be getting a smell as the traps should be stopping any smells from coming up the plugholes ??

has anybody got any ideas of how the smell could be leaking ? are there any decent products i can buy to flush out the pipes ?

any help appreciated.

thanks
neil

Sponsored Links
possible that one of the other wastes is pulling the water trap out of the waste trap.
check the shower that smells has water sitting in the trap.

Put a large straw through the plughole and when it touches the bottom put your thumb over the end which will retain the water in the straw.

When you withdraw it, you will see how much water is sitting in your trap.

Should be 40 mm in a shower trap. :)

Sponsored Links
just checked my shower with the straw as suggested and i have 35mm max of water. one thing i noticed is that i used one of these shallow shower traps which do not seem to have a water trap part to stop smells as i can put my finger in and feel the exit pipe without even touching any water ??? are all shower traps like this ?

There should be a length of tube that fits down into the trap and which can removed for cleaning. It should have a rubber ring on the outside to create an airtight seal with the body of the trap.

If the tube is missing you have no seal at all. If the rubber ring is missing the trap will not be completely airtight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back