Flooded....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not really a DIY disaster, but here goes.

Went away for the w/end. My Mum called by on Sunday to feed the cat, and decided to do some (unasked for) watering.

Unfortunately, she left the tap on and the spraygun blew off, leaving the hose to deposit 48 hours worth of H2O on the rear path. We came back to a house in darkness. The RCD had tripped (haven't got round to changing the cu yet) and would only reset when I isolated the ground floor ring breaker.

Found water seeping into the garage under the door. Checked under the hall floor and there was 2" water on top of the concrete under the floorboards. It got there through the airbricks at the back of the house.

Further inspection today revealed two jb's sitting in the water thoroughly immersed.

Have screwed them to the joists.

MORAL: don't let your Mum cat-sit for you.And make sure you keep jb's out of water's reach...

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
MORAL: don't let your Mum cat-sit for you.
I'm dreading my next break, my last break with my mum cats sitting.

1, Broke the mortice lock on my front inner door by forcing it.
2, Left the fridge door ajar.
3, Patio door lock now don't work properly.
4, Turn the alarm off in a rush and ended up on the floor with alarm ringing,
5, Want me to leave the alarm pin number on the wall so she can remember and help the burglar as well :rolleyes:
6, Come back from break at 1am, open the door, the smell was awful and the heating was on instead of the water like a suana. The smell was coming from the fish tank being overfed, she has thought the whole tin last a week, you couldn't even see the goldfish in there.

I am really dreading my next break.

I must be quite fortunate. I live here in an area of Grantham where burglary is still (touch wood) quite rare. I live in a block of flats converted from a big victorian house so when the main door opens most people (just out of northern noseyness) poke out their heads to see what's going on. Annoying at times but very reassuring.

Flood-wise, hurrah for being 1st floor :LOL: - had a lucky escape there, the ground floor flat I lived in 2 years ago has apparently just been ruined by the river Witham's recently bust banks!

Sponsored Links
this is an example of why underfloor jbs are a good thing

they take out the rcd and make the ring safe before the water reaches people

plugwash said:
this is an example of why underfloor jbs are a good thing

they take out the rcd and make the ring safe before the water reaches people

Happen to me approx' 2 years ago when flooded out, as you say the jbs tripped my C/Unit. The only problem was, I has to wait until the junction box dried out.

Simple choice ... get rid one or both ;)

Then mod the hose with the plastic 'stop' fitting ... ( spray head removed ... no water discharges )
55196.jpg

In the light of things gone down, pretty cheap at £1-40 odd, down the local 'SHED' ;)

P

in my experiance if anything is going to pop out by itself it is not the quickfit connectro-tool join its the quickfit connector-hose join

One piece hose ?
Properly fitted / accessoried = peace of mind !!
Cost of the first 'peanuts', value of the second ... enormous !!

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back