floodlight wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, does anyone know what size cable i should use for a security floodlight outside?.
i have a spur running off a junction box on the main ring curcuit and this goes into a switched fused connection unit.
but what size cable should i use going from the fused connection unit to the floodlight,should it be 1.00mm or 2.5mm? also what size fuse should i use for the connection unit 3 or 5 amp thanks

Sponsored Links
leon said:
hi, does anyone know what size cable i should use for a security floodlight outside?.
One large enough to carry the current required by the floodlight over the distance that the cable runs.

i have a spur running off a junction box on the main ring curcuit and this goes into a switched fused connection unit.
but what size cable should i use going from the fused connection unit to the floodlight,should it be 1.00mm or 2.5mm?
Possibly neither - it depends on the current required by the floodlight over the distance that the cable runs.

also what size fuse should i use for the connection unit 3 or 5 amp thanks
Could be either - it depends on the current required by the floodlight.

If, as is likely, the light is <500 watts and the cable run is <10m, either cable you suggest will be OK. For reasons of inrush, the 5A fuse or even a 13 would be prefferred.

Sponsored Links
the cable run from the fcu to the floodlight is just under 2 metres and the light itself is 300w ,so i assume a length of 1.00mm cable and a 5 amp fuse would be suffice. thanks for the tips/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back