floor already laid up to skirting boadr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a parquet wooden floor in my hallway.This floor has been laid up to the skirting board and a trim fitted round the edges.
The skirting board is just a plain sort and I want to put in a more ornate skirting.
I have been advised that a multicutter like the bosch would be ok to cut the skirting tight to the floor allowing new skirting to be placed on top.
What would the more skilled people on here do.
I cannot see any way of removing the skirting as the floor is tight up to the skirting.

Thanks for any help I.m not totally green when it comes to DIY but would appreciate a step by step guide and what tools to use

Cheers

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/genera...ady-laid-up-to-skirting.402953/#ixzz32BgZUAYr

Sponsored Links
Hi
If the skirting has a square top just add extra skirting on top
use a bead or rebate to help join the two sections,
this is the traditional method of making up deep skirtings

The problem I have is that one side of the hallway has a slightly rounded top (plain) the other side is turus bit of a mis mash really

The floor is lovely and I do not want to lift it nor do I think my capabilities stretch that far

My idea was to use a multi cutter to cut the both skirting boards off at floor level so it is flush I was thinking about masking tape on the floor so not to scratch it.Then put some matching skirting board on both sides

Thanks for replying I appreciate it

Sponsored Links
Thanks Harbour

Have you any experience of using a multi cutter( are they any good?)

I am looking at a saxton one which is on sale for £55 with aaccessories

I am alittle bit apprehensive but got to bite the bullet and sort the hallway out

I have no experience with saxon tools,Bosch green tools usually do well,BandQ discount them,
Lidel do one for £29 that got to be worth a go.

Cheers will do a bit of research

Does anyone else have an opinion on what I am planning to do with the skirting?

Do I take it that the parquet is quite thick?
To be honest I think that if you removed the fixings , either removed the screws or even punched the nails through the skirting then it should come off the wall leaving a "groove " around the perimeter .
If it were me and there isn't a way to remove it from behind the flooring then I still wouldn't fork out for a multitool unless you really really want to. I'd just attack the skirting with a chisel splitting most of it off and using the chisel bevel down pare off anything sticking proud of the floor. Definately cheaper and probably not much in it time wise either.

You say the skirting board has a trim attached. If that is the case then it is probably covering an expansion gap. Remove the trim and the skirting should come away clean?

I agree with ladylola. Find a way to remove the old skirting. It shouldn't be that difficult to do and leave the flooring in place.

Thanks Lola And fishcake

I have taken the trim off and the flooring is quite tight to the skirting

I have ordered the multicutter anyway it may help to take the skirting out in sections.

The skirting is easily removed , does not matter how tight it is the floor.
No special tools required.

Foxhole

I have a parquet floor fitted tight to the skirting.
The skirting drops below the floor level.
I want to remove the skirting but not damage the floor.
The video you posted was on a skirting above the floor level( Useful to me because I will use the same principal for removing architrave around the door)

However it does not help me with the problem with the floor
Appreciate the help

Same technique will work , ease away from wall at top and then lift board vertically away from floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back