Floor botch job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a builder in to lay an OSB floor in our attic. It is an older house and the joists were not level, he said he would level these out before laying the floor. I had expected him to add strips to the top of the joists before laying. The job is done but I am to happy with the bouncing and noise the floor is making, it turns out he gas not laid wood on top of the joists but nailed strips to the side. I have removed a bit of flor and can see that these 'sister joists' are only two cm's wide and they are not on every joist. I would expect overtime that these will not last at all and have started a discussion about this method. Before things get too bad can someone please confirm to me that my view on how it should have been done is right and that this method is not right and will cause issues in the future.

Cheers

Nick.

Sponsored Links
Hi Nick, , The job must be fit for purpose, however some might say this is adequate for a loft floor, assuming that is that the price reflected the work done, sometimes you have to be realistic about these things, only you can be the judge of that (on the information you have supplied)
Sorry if that's not what you hoped to hear...pinenot :)

Should have supplied more info. Will be a bedroom, quote was full whack they used a subbie for this and from what I can see did not check the quality.

It will have a wooden floor on top nod heavy bedroom furniture, left as it is I do not think will be long before something goes wrong.

Agree for a simple board out job for storage it would probably do, do not expect it for a conversion job that was not cheap.

As you say "the quote was for full whack", perhaps you could broaden this out for us and let's see what comes of it?

For what it's worth, I'd suggest that if the ceiling joists were dwanged, center and two equidistant rows, with props on load spreading battens, pushing up from the floor below, straightness could both be achieved and maintained. Effectively this would produce a torsion box effect, something I've used to good effect many times.

Hopefully you can gain some retrospective action from the contractor, as the quote was "full whack" appealing, if you can, to the moral of the contract.

Good luck...pinenot :unsure:

Sponsored Links
@ Nic;
From your description of the floor bouncing, it appears that the builders have not put in an independent new floor but have simply used the existing ceiling joists.

These would not be sufficient to take normal domestic loading. I suspect that building control has not been involved.

@pinenot;

Putting noggins between the joists, and then forcing the ceiling up from below wiill not work. If it was that easy, all domestic floors would be made with 3x2. That advice is bordering on irresponsible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back