Floor conundrum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of attempting to complete my house which has been a bit of an ongoing task (two years so far) and have come to needing to sort out the kitchen and hall floor.
The problem I have is it is an ex council house and as such had various different cubbys, bin stores and walls breaking up what is now just a kitchen and hall. This has left me with quite a few odd slopes and levels that I just couldn't tile.
The kitchen itself is approx 3m x 5m and has a ridge about 2m in across the room where an old wall used to be.
The hall was originaly split with a binstore and broom cupboard, but has now been opened up into one space which is approx 3m x 2m and the floor slopes slightly towards the kitchen.

Will I have to get the original screed lifted and relaid to sort this out or is there a product that I could use to get it all level enough to lay ceramic tiles?
The run out over a couple of meters in places is as much as 15 to 20mm and there are also a few pieces where the screed is missing as it was too loose and those increase the depth by at least another 25mm.

I don't think that I am personaly up to screeding the floor myself as getting things level is one of those art forms that I just don't posses (that's why I didn't plaster my own walls ) I thought about self leveling compound but i'm not sure if i could mix and pour it fast enough to cover such a large area. Is this going to cost me an arm and a leg or is there another way of dealing with it bearing in mind that I will be selling the house soon as my job is being moved to another area and I will have to move also but want the house finished and looking right to get a sale.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back