How to economically level uneven concrete flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings I have recently purchased a new house (not in yet) and am planning to install a glue down wooden floor in my dining/living/hall area approx 45m2. I have removed the wall between the living/dining area and found that the two floors are different heights approx 20mm. To make matters worse the higher dining area slopes from left to right approx 20mm making the lower end nearly the same height as the living area. I realise I need to level this floor but using a good quality levelling compound is going to prove VERY EXPENSIVE. The job is further complicated by two other factors. The house is a late 1950's build and am not aware of the viability or existence of a DPM. However, the concrete looks dry as dust ! Secondly, the floors in both areas were previously covered by slate tiles which have now been removed but have left a lovely bitumen residue to contend with.

Any ideas on best way of going about this job. Could I use a surface DMP first to seal bitumen/bond new screed ?

What type of screed SLC is very expensive but will need good quality screed to glue floor to - any other alternatives cement ?? I think concrete is out due to the fact that in the highest areas of floor the screed will be to thin.

Look forward to hearing a few ideas from those that know

Sponsored Links
add some sharp sand to the slc were it is at its deepest this will make a better job and save money

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back