floor drain in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I wonder if anyone can help me.
I recently moved into a new (rented) flat and I noticed there is no floor drain in the bathroom. I am kind of concerned about this because the overflow of the bathtub is not very good and it seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I have been told the building regulations require it, but I can't seem to find any information on the net and I'm not English so I don't really understand the lingo.
Could anyone please tell me what are the building regulations about this? My flat is on the 2nd floor ( G+2) in a recently refurbished building.

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware there is no regulation or requirement for a bathroom to have a floor drain. I have also never seen a bathroom with a floor drain either, unless it was designed to be a wet room. As your bathroom has a bathtub it is unlikely to have been designed as a wet room.

I have also never seen a bathtub overflow where it has a correctly fitted overflow so I wouldn't consider it a disaster waiting to happen. You should never leave a bath running unattended anyway, but obviously a lot of people do. If the risk concerns you then invest £10 in a decent digital cooking timer and set it for the length of time it takes to fill your bath, or ensure the taps can't fill more quickly than the overflow can drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back