Building Regulations for Chimney Breast Removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a property where the chimney breast has been removed from the ground floor but is intact above. This work had building control so i didn't worry too much about it. I have recently discovered the weight is being supported by a single steel plate that spans some of the floor joists on the first floor. A builder I know had a look at it and was surprised it had passes building regulations (in 2004 approx).

Would anyone be able to guide me to the relevant section of building regulations to determine if the setup should have building control.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
You will search the regulations in vain as there is no specific regulation as such for any work on a chimney (or any other part of a building for that matter).

The only legal requirement is that structual work shall be safe. If it's got a certificate, and has been like that for nearly ten years, what's the problem?

Why not ask that builder to tell you which regulation it contravenes, and why?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back