floor in attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i am plannig to put a proper floor in my attic space, the span of the house is approx 8mtr.

The problem there is no wall in between for the joists to rest on. what can i do

Sponsored Links
Alex - next question ... what are you intending to use the attic space for? Storage, with occasional access or an 'unofficial' habitable room containing furniture, computer and a couple of seated people?

If for light storage your structural timbers will be OK to take chipboard loft-boarding. IMO with those un-supported spans (7m+) you shouldn't use the space for anything else unless you beef-up the structure; they'll deflect and damage (crack) the ceiling finish below.

How far apart are the joists?

Sponsored Links
The joist will be 400mm apart with noggins in between. at the moment there is no joist in there. i have been thinking could i not carry the wall on from below with thermalite block and rest the joists on that because i would beable to do that both sides of the house leaving a small gap in between may be the stud work would take that small area.

What is the standard size joist dimension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back