Floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a bedroom that gets rather cold due to it being above an integral garage. Has anyone gone any ideas about insulating between the two ? I was thinking about fixing (from the garage) loft insulation in between the joists and then covering with plasterboard or plywood. Any comments ?

Sponsored Links
Use screws/ nails to support polystyrene sheets (jab floor) between the joists. The sheets are cheap as chips and available from builders merchants as they have to be included in any new build concrete floor. Leave a 50mm gap between it and your floor boards.

Then fit whole sheets of the same stuff under your joists by nailing (or screw). You can fit board if you want to. This will give better insulation still.

Thanks for that...so cross section wise from the top you'll have the floorboards, polystyrene slabs (in line with the joists), polystyrene sheets and then the plasterboard/plywood ? How think are the slabs and sheets ?

50mm thick in 8 foot by 4 foot sheets. You can cut them with a craft knife.

Costs about £6 per sheet inc vat

Sponsored Links
Is polystyrene not a fire hazard? I'm asking because we have a similar problem. The stuff you're talking about comes in big white sheets?

Kind Regards,
Shane Cook.

Polystyrene can be a very serious fire hazard, especially if you hold a lighter next to it until it sets alight.
You're talking about a bedroom over a garage, where you park a car, the car can have 11 gallons of petrol in it, now that is a fire hazard.
Polystyrene, like petrol is quite safe if you use your nouse, i.e. know what you're dealing with, and don't do welding in your garage unless it's covered with boarding.
Put 1st layer between joists, level with the bottom of the same, hopefully leaving an air gap. Next layer at 90deg to 1st and finally board over following 1st layer and joists.

Regulations for a bedroom over an integral garage state that the ceiling of the garage must have a double layer of plasterboard with all joints staggered on each layer. It is to give protection against exhaust fumes if the car should ever be left ticking over etc. It may have to have a plaster skim too but i cannot remember .

New regs say that you have to seal around the perimeter of the plastered ceiling with a fireproof non setting mastic too as well as the double board.

and the answer given by amtodd re the polystyrene and sheeting - this is something I was thinking of doing to insulate my front rm as I want a wooden floor but it's above the basement that houses no flammables but does hold the gas and elecky meters :eek:

If I do this am I breaking any fire regulations or any sort of law? Would I be plain stupid to do this??! Is there any hazard from fumes or anything (excepting a fire ;) ).

Grateful for advice received.

Spooks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back