Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi People,

We have a one bedroom flat that is located above a car parking area. The floor is concrete throughout although we have recently laid laminate flooring in the hall and kitchen. We used fibreboard underlay (the rectangular green sheets approx 10 mm thick) under the laminate and this has greatly increased the insulation of the floors.

We are now wondering if it would be advantageous to insulate the lounge and bedroom floors in the same way. These rooms are both carpeted although the carpet is foam backed and quite old. We will eventually replace the carpets with hessian backed ones (she who must be obeyed doesnt want laminate flooring throughout) but this probably wont get done until next year. I am now thinking about laying fibreboard or a traditional underlay under the existing carpet for now and then having the new carpets laid on top of this at a later date.

The floors are all level and our main aim is to reduce the noise from the carpark and prevent heat loss. Would fibreboard or normal carpet underlay be best?

Is it okay to use fibreboard under the foam backed carpet and does the fibreboard need to be glued to the concrete floor?

Can the new hessian backed carpet be laid over the fibreboard at a later date or would we be better doing nothing for now and having the underlay professionally laid along with the new carpets?

Sorry its such a long post! Any advise will be appreciated!

D

Sponsored Links
Davey said:
Is it okay to use fibreboard under the foam backed carpet and does the fibreboard need to be glued to the concrete floor
The only problem I can see using fibreboard is the person body weight which will leave footprints,so it won't be flat & level for your laminated flooring as and when.This doesn't happen with laminated flooring as it spread the load over a large area.No need to use glue.The carpet underlay is design to prolong the life of a carpet

You can shell out a few quid more and go for a top quality underlay like Cloud 9 which is great for the reasons you want but i am not sure on the method you suggest using the laminate underlay for the same reasons stated by masona.

Thanks for your help guys - a top quality underlay it is!

I will lay the underlay under the existing carpet for now then. When (eventually) we get the new carpet we will have this laid professionally but is it a relatively straight forward job to lay underlay myself?

D

Sponsored Links
Davey said:
is it a relatively straight forward job to lay underlay myself?
Should be easy to do but the hardest bit will be stretching the carpet back.You may get away with it or you can hire them or a carpet fitter might do it for a small fee.
33129100.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back