Floor Joist has deep cut

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've noticed 2 joists have pretty deep cuts where they rest on wall.

Do they need changing?

Also joist in living room is attached to neighbours joist by 2 nails overlapping by 80mm only. Is that sufficient?

Also noggins are made up of thin floor boards? Is it best to change to 3x2s

1930s semi!

Cheers
IMG_20190801_154618.jpg
IMG_20190801_154516.jpg
IMG_20190731_132740.jpg

IMG_20190728_142357.jpg

Also a couple of joists have horizontal cracks. Would these need sistering or are these cracks expected in aged timber.

IMG_20190726_184154.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes. The chimney breasts have been removed including chimney stack from roof

I've noticed 2 joists have pretty deep cuts where they rest on wall.

Do they need changing?
Well they still appear to have bearing on the top of the masonry, although not by much. TBH I'd probably fishplate them both sides with some 18mm plywood about the same width as the depth of the joists and maybe a metre in length. Stitch with #10 (5.0mm) screws. Alternatively sister and bolt together (minimum something like four M12 coach bolts)

Also joist in living room is attached to neighbours joist by 2 nails overlapping by 80mm only. Is that sufficient?
It's a lot under spec, I'd say. Can you get access to sister-up? If not would some form of support be feasible? Personally I'd want to do something with that

Also noggins are made up of thin floor boards? Is it best to change to 3x2s
Technically they are solid strutting (noggins are in walls) and they are probably more effective than 3 x 2s would be because they are a similar depth to the joists - 3 x 2s would be a lot shallower. There is a persistent and pervasive myth that "noggins" (i.e. solid strutting) in floors adds strength and carry load. Not really. What strutting does do is to stiffen the floor, i.e. remove bounciness. To do this the struts really need to transmit sideways load into adjoining joists as well as to prevent the joists from twisting under load, and to do that they must be at least 80% as deep as the original joists and ideally (although not absolutely) as thick as the originals (assuming solid strutting).

1930s semi!
All goes to show that cowboy building is nothing new

Also a couple of joists have horizontal cracks. Would these need sistering or are these cracks expected in aged timber.
They don't seem that bad, at least not from the photo - and yes timber can split with age. If you do decide to sister them you'll also need to pocket-out the wall to carry the ends, which will need to be envelope wrapped in a damp proof membrane to prevent rotting, and then the masonry made good. Quite a bit of extra work

Sponsored Links
When installing a new floor, the traditional herringbone strutting was always more efficient than solid blocking pieces.

When installing a new floor, the traditional herringbone strutting was always more efficient than solid blocking pieces.
Indeed, but in jobs like this where the floorboards are already in place they are rarely an option unless you want to massively increase the amount of work and expenditure involved

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back