Floor level and thresholds advice

M

MopeyGecko

The ground floor of my house is solid timber floorboards throughout (1 1/4" thick) all on the same level. I would like to install tiles in the kitchen and possibly the hallway at a later date.

How does the thickness of the tiles compare to say carpet? I will probably be carpetting most of the other rooms so if I left all the floorboards intact would I face any floor level problems between....

a) the new kitchen tiles on top of the floorboards against the existing floorboards in the hall.

b) the existing floorboards in the hall against carpet in one of the other rooms.

c) and finally, if i was to also tile the hallway, between these tiles and one of the carpetted rooms?

Sponsored Links
I reckon carpet with a decent underlay would be about the same as tiles.

You can get flexible door threshold strips which can sit at slightly different levels. Not sure how good they are though.

Most times that I've seen ceramic tiles installed over a plank floor the fitters have installed a layer of ply first then tiled on top of this. The ply makes a rigid base for the tiles, if there is any flex in the subfloor then the tiles will crack or the grout will keep breaking up. The thickness of the ply varies from 6mm to 18mm depending upon the floor underneath. This will give you a finished floor height of 20mm min (6mm ply + 4mm adhesive + 10mm tiles - obviously adjust the finished height according to the thickness ply and tiles you'll use).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back