Floor Level (pouring slab)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted in Flooring but no reply, really hope someone can help.

When calculating finished floor level, what depth do you allow for the top covering (laminate/tiles?)

Just trying to plan ahead before pour slab.

1. What is the industry standard 'average' flooring depth allowed for when marking final floor level? We don't want any steps in/out of doors. I've been googling and it seems timber flooring comes in 12-22mm quite a range. Not sure on tiles & adhesive.

Please don't say chose your flooring now as there are too many rooms to decide!!

2. Is it possible to install UFH & screed in a garage which will initially be used to park car im worried about the weight of a car on the screed, but may want to convert the garage in future so trying to be prepared now.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd work out what flooring you're going to have and work it out based on that.
However if it's an extension to an existing house I'd find the existing structural floor level and build to that.
I wouldn't class 10mm as a step if that's the difference between rooms, although obviously if you have 12mm in one room and 22 in the next, put hardboard underneath the 12mm.

Doesn't the garage also need to be 100mm lower than the house to stop gases from entering the house. So install the ufh at a later date if you covert.

Doesn't the garage also need to be 100mm lower than the house to stop gases from entering the house. So install the ufh at a later date if you covert.

Sponsored Links
Since found out screed is not suitable for garages.

One supplier has suggested installing the UFH within the concrete slab in garage.

This means warm area to work in for workshop & if ever did convert no additional flooring or plumbing works required.

Anyone heard of this?

Garage floor will be 100mm lower than house as no screed (50mm) and less insulation (50 instead of 100)

Perhaps it's not then. It was suggested by a man UFH supplier when I sent the house plans so I was just exploring the option as spend a lot of time in the garage.

Think going to leave it after all though!

Is it worth putting any insulation under the concrete slab in garage? Will there be any benefit? I know this is the old school was as everyone has insulation over slab in the house but obviously this wouldn't work in the garage unless there was an additional floor (not sure what?)

It's actually to prevent burning liquids flowing into the property, limiting the spread of fire. You're alternatively permitted to provide a sloping floor (slope away from the house) if a step doesn't appeal (think I'd prefer to jack a car up on a level though..)

Last edited:
!

Is it worth putting any insulation under the concrete slab in garage? Will there be any benefit? I know this is the old school was as everyone has insulation over slab in the house but obviously this wouldn't work in the garage unless there was an additional floor (not sure what?)

Insulation under slab is of most benefit when UFH is in slab. Insulation in itself provides no heat, and lying on a 100mm slab will make you feel cold regardless of whether it is insulated under or not insulated at all.

If you plan to heat the slab, insulate under it. If you plan to lie on it avoiding he wife/messing with cars (bliss!) but it won't be heated, or the heat source is elsewhere, put insulation on top of it (though you're limited to where you could put it as it won't be load bearing enough for a vehicle)

My slab is over my insulation, but that's because I use UFH. Worth noting that I could never lie on my floor and feel toasty warm fm the floor: it only runs at 22 degrees so always feeels cool

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back