Floor refurb: re-oil or use HardWax Oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I refurbished a house in 2010 with advice on specifications from this forum - NOT ONE THING HAS FAILED. Thank You.

Time has come to refurb the place. The lovely engineered Oak wooden floor needs TLC. Now we not only have an option of using oil but we have well designed HardWax Oils too.

What are your thoughts? Should I not tempt providence and just reoil with Blanchon Maintenance or is it wiser to move onto a good hardwax oil?

I like the warm feel and the mat/satin of the brushed oiled floors. If that helps, but I am happy to trade a bit of this off to stronger and longer lasting protection if need be.

Warmest Regards
U

Sponsored Links
I've used both Fiddes and Osma hard wax oils, I've got oak floors and the finish is good, but it's quite smelly to apply, not a job I'd do unless I could keep the windows open for a few hours.

Does the Blanchon smell? if not, I'd stick with that.

Thanks for that. I think I will follow the trend and use Blanchon HardWax Oil, then. I would gladly tolerate smelliness, if it is a trade for decent protection. I do not remember it being remotely smelly when I did 60 (!) sqm of oil with a little hand scrubber.....If I tried that now, I would not be able to stand up again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back