Which oil/hardwax oil for character grade engineered floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :)

Just about finished installation of a 20mm engineered floor which is character grades so rather rustic (brushed and oiled). Apparantly, I need to treat the floor asap so I was hoping for some recommendations and what sort of effect different options will give me.

Something that enriches the wood and gives a slight sheen would be nice. I don't want it to be shiney, just a soft sheen to ensure it doesn't look dull. The flooring won't get any hardwear (socks only) but might be subject to the odd spill of water etc in the kitchen.

Some products I'm aware of are:

FS Oil Care For Oiled Wood Flooring
FS Hardwax Oil For Unfinished Hardwood Flooring
Osmo HardWax Oil (Polyx-Oil)
Ronseal Diamond Hard Floor Wax
Trip Trap maintenance oil

Also, I don't want anything that is going to darken the floor noticeably.

Any details and recommendations for my brushed and oiled floor would be much appreciated.

Many thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Osmo every time for me.

there is a soft sheen finish available and sounds exactly like the product you need.

I second that (or any other manufacturers HardWaxOil). It will 'darken' your floor to the natural honey colour of Oak, but that happens with any natural (no extra colours added) finish.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say, but your supplier is recommending the wrong product.
"Essential for the maintenance of all oiled floor surfaces"

It's a product you use for heavy maintenance, not even for regular maintenance. It will never protect your floor if you use that as first ever finish it sees.

Osmo or Blanchon HWO are the best around

I'm sick to death of people giving me the wrong information, so I thank you WYL for keeping me straight.

The product I bought was promoted as FSC certified. I had a gut feeling that something wasn't right so I got in touch with the FSC and they have confirmed that my supplier isn't FSC certified and nor is their supplier.

Not happy!

I'll look at getting some Osmo :)

Oh, and here is the product I bought:
http://www.birbek.com/mall/productpage.cfm/Birbek/REST/70021
In rustic

The FSC link on their site brings up a pfd document telling you what FSC is, not their Certificate.
Now that's something I hate! Honest and quality info and honest quality products wins the day every time - well, in our books!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back