To Oil or Not to Oil that is the question (Osmo)

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following the advice given to the previous question have now ordered the new pine floor boards and am trying to choose the finish for the new flooring.

Just to remind its the 3 upstairs bedrooms, to landing and bathroom.

Have narrowed the choice down to either Osmo Polyx oil or Junkers Strong Floor Lacquer.

I feel, from the information thus far obtained, that the advantages of the oil outweighs the extra degree of maintenance over the Lacquer. However I am left with some doubts.

1) One supplier said that Oil is not a suitable finish for Pine flooring as it will not be properly absorbed by it.

2) Suppliers state that the oil is simply put on using a brush and any excess is removed with a cloth. Yet the Osmo website states "Polyx Profi-Hardwax-Oil for professional users - machine application only" and requires the use of an industrial polisher to finish the job off.

3) What effect does the oil have on the colour/shade of the wood. One site I found showed an oiled and un-oil pine plank and the oiled appeared darken the wood a LOT.

4) The oil is supplied in matt, stain and gloss finishes. This I don't understand. Have a, perhaps incorrect, thoughts towards cooking/motor oils and do don't understand who this can be achieved. The desired level of sheen is the same as one would get from stain varnish. Would this be achieved?

Thats it for now :)
Further questions may follow dependant on the answers to the above questions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
ABN said:
Have narrowed the choice down to either Osmo Polyx oil or Junkers Strong Floor Lacquer.

Linseed oil is fine, why go for something fancy?

I feel, from the information thus far obtained, that the advantages of the oil outweighs the extra degree of maintenance over the Lacquer. However I am left with some doubts.

1) One supplier said that Oil is not a suitable finish for Pine flooring as it will not be properly absorbed by it.[

Rubbish.

2) Suppliers state that the oil is simply put on using a brush and any excess is removed with a cloth. Yet the Osmo website states "Polyx Profi-Hardwax-Oil for professional users - machine application only" and requires the use of an industrial polisher to finish the job off.

So don't use the Osmo oil.

3) What effect does the oil have on the colour/shade of the wood. One site I found showed an oiled and un-oil pine plank and the oiled appeared darken the wood a LOT.

Try it on a board and see.

4) The oil is supplied in matt, stain and gloss finishes. This I don't understand. Have a, perhaps incorrect, thoughts towards cooking/motor oils and do don't understand who this can be achieved. The desired level of sheen is the same as one would get from stain varnish. Would this be achieved?

Raw linseed tends to be matt, boiled will build up to a more glossy surface.

ABN said:
That's a different 'product', comes in tins of 20 ltr and more.
The normal Osmo can be applyd by brush or sponge, no problemo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back