Floor screed, insulation issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
I've potentially made a bit of a mistake.
I've screeded my floor throughout the downstairs of my house, and added underfloor etc.
I've put in edge insulation all the way around the building perimeter, in order to minimise thermal bridges.
So, here's the issue. I've put in 2" insulation around the edges, instead of one. As that is what I had going at the time. However, this is fine in the kitchen as I'm tiling the floor. But In the living room were having carpet. Thus potentially causing an issue with the gripper rods?
Should I:
A) slice down the edge of the insulation and pour in concrete. So the gripper rods have a good fixing?
B) leave it? (Is there a sensible gluing method the carpet fitters can do)

Having thought about it for a while, there must be a way in which the carpet fitters know how to deal with it? Because I've seen the same method done a few times, only with 1" insulation instead of 2"

TYIA
Regards,
Sam

Sponsored Links
My insulated plasterboard (60mm) overhangs any floor insulation, are you boarding walls?

Sponsored Links
Don't have carpet, timber floating floor? Large rug in the centre for the kids to play on?

Andy

I thought about timber. As I work for a timber/stonemasonry company. Solid timber, no go with UFH. Engineered maybe, but still seems daft to go to the effort of putting the system in and have an insulating barrier stopping the heat.
Thanks for the input anyway guys. Somebody input about doubling up the gripper rods.
Sounds like a shout
Cheers,
Sam

The carpet will be fine stuck with modern spray adhesives(y)

Last edited:
Glue the underlay and carpet down and don't use grippers?

If you mix up some mortar with SBR it will stick to the small gap, it will crack where it joins the screed but if it's deep enough will stay together fairly well. You can then pink grip the grippers to this.

Nige F, I agree!
Tomfe, Robbox good ideas.
I've got some SBR left over so was gunna put it in too:)
Do like the idea of the timber though.
Thanks again
Scared to put LOL, in case my "mate" catches me again now.

Some people come on the forum to let out their frustrations of the day, I imagine it's like some kind of building role play online.

Anyway regarding the gripper rods if you move them inwards just beware of treading on them all the time.trust me it's sore! If it's only external walls then less likely to be an issue.

++++++++++++
some undesirable posts have been removed

Mod
+++++++++++

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back