floor slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone.the specs for my floor are 75mm hardcore compacted and then blinded by sand then covered with a visqueen 1200 gauge then 100mm of concrete then 80mm insulation then covered with another lare of visqueen then a 65mm 0f sreed. my argument is we usualy have the insulation under the concrete then the visqueen then screed which cuts the chance of the screed cracking. but surely having the insulation above the concrete and directly under the screed increases the chance of cracking. wonder if b.c would let me put the insulation under the concrete. :!:

Sponsored Links
hi everyone.the specs for my floor are 75mm hardcore compacted and then blinded by sand then covered with a visqueen 1200 gauge then 100mm of concrete then 80mm insulation then covered with another lare of visqueen then a 65mm 0f sreed. my argument is we usualy have the insulation under the concrete then the visqueen then screed which cuts the chance of the screed cracking. but surely having the insulation above the concrete and directly under the screed increases the chance of cracking. wonder if b.c would let me put the insulation under the concrete. :!:

Cant see why not.
In fact- whoever did the specs- seems to have gone arse about face .

Sometimes- depending on Local Authority- B Control-- some like insulation under the visqueen and some like insulation on top of the visqueen.

However- my guess is- that what the plans say is- you are having a 'FLOATING FLOOR'. (insulation on top of concrete) and boards on top of insulation.
Lots of houses have them and they are crap- and areas of heavy traffic (door openings)-- usually , the floor (insulation) sinks a bit and causes hollows.
May have been designed to fit in with rest of house .
Have a word with building inspector .

couldnt agree more pete, will ask the inspector anyway,wots the worse that can happen,he says no,i can live with that lol. watch this space.

couldnt agree more pete, will ask the inspector anyway,wots the worse that can happen,he says no,i can live with that lol. watch this space.

He wont say no, unless he wants all concrete to lay at same level and wants to overlap new visqueen on top of existing floor visqueen to maintain a damp barrier.

Whatever he says- go along with it--it makes life easier and is no skin off your nose .

What I always do is say to BS 'what do you want me to do' and 'how would you like me to do it' !!.

Makes them feel important !! haha. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
the new drain for the toilet is going underneath the slab, going to have a go at laying that,45degree bend at toilet stack run it to the manhole at the right fall,break through the manhole and a 30degree bend taking it in. bit of luck it will satisfy the inspector. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back