extension slab with ufh, advice for newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've an extension underway and want to check that what i'm planning is correct as far as the base goes.
The specs that were approved for bc say:-
well consolidated 150mm hardcore,
sand blinded,
1200g visqueen,
100mm concrete,
125mm polystyrene or 80mm kingspan insulation (poly approx £100 cheaper)
polypipe ufh tray (egg carton type) & pipe
65mm screed (sand/cement or pumped liquid)
25mm polystyrene insulation stood on end around periphery to prevent cold bridging

does that sound right, do i use building sand for blinding the hardcore, the room is 3.2m x 7.6m how wide are visqueen rolls/sheets, will the visqueen need protecting when they come to barrow in the concrete, how long should the concrete be left to cure before covering with insulation/ufh?
Apologies for waffling on but i only want to do this once and am a complete newbie to extensions, any advice from professionals or those with greater experience much appreciated.
Cheers
Lee.

Sponsored Links
does that sound right, do i use building sand for blinding the hardcore, the room is 3.2m x 7.6m how wide are visqueen rolls/sheets, will the visqueen need protecting when they come to barrow in the concrete, how long should the concrete be left to cure before covering with insulation/ufh?.
Sounds about right.

I would increase the screed depth to at least 75mm.

Building sand is fine as a blinding layer.

Visqueen is usually 4m wide when opened out.

Drop some scaffold boards down for the barrow run and tip.

The concrete will be ok after a couple of days. Try and keep it relatively smooth when laying as opposed to a heavily peaked tamped finish.

Cheers, the 65mm was based on polypipes optimum for the underfloor heating, i'll have a check but think they said upto 90mm - so i'll up it especially as the egg carton panels that the pipe lays in has castellations 35mm high.
Now to work out quantities.....

Sponsored Links
If you choose self-levelling anhydride, then 50 - 55 mm is usual and you will pay quite a bit more per extra cm.

If normal mortar screed then I would say 70 mm max. Adding more increases the thermal storage effect, but not really necessary for most people unless you are using off-peak electricity which you are not.

Is it MOT limestone 40mm to dust that i need for the hardcore?
Any ideas how many grab bags to do 150mm deep 3.2m x 7.6m?
How much building sand do you think i'd need to order?

Is it MOT limestone 40mm to dust that i need for the hardcore?
Any ideas how many grab bags to do 150mm deep 3.2m x 7.6m?
How much building sand do you think i'd need to order?

1. Yes. MOT 40mm to dust.
2. 8 grab bags.
3. 1 grab bag @ 50mm depth will see you just short so fettle it out a bit.

Thanks all for the advice so far, hardcore and sand now down. Once building control have been i'll be looking to order the concrete which will be from a barrow it in mixed on site firm. If i put battens around to the height of the top of the concrete and use a length of 3x2 will i be able to tamp and level on my own or is it a two man job?

Ok building control are happy for me to continue, i take it i put the battens in place then the visqueen up the wall and not the other way around?
is it a two man job to tamp and level across a 3.2m span?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back