floor span

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

ok can anyone tell me if 10" x 2" joists are strong enough to span 7.5m and support 1 maybe 2 people on a raised platform? i want to put a viewing platform over the top of my summerhouse so i can permenantly mount my telescope and be able to support me walking and resting/sitting on it. it could only be supported at either end so as not to damage the fet under it with 2 beams 2m apart crossed with 6" x 2" and then decking style flooring finishing it off for walking on crossed on top of that.

i only usually work with timber materials so if it will be to much of a span for timber then i will not go ahead with the project but any advice or help would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
The 6 x 2s would be fine, but not the 10 x 2s on a 7.5m span (assuming you could get that length). Even if the main beams were not overstressed (which they probably would be) they would deflect too much, and woud bounce when you walk about on them. Not a good base for a telescope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back