Steps, what size support beams?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a door in the corner of a room which opens inwards. on the other side is another room which has a floor 50 cm lower. I need to build a stairs (with just 2 or 3 steps) down into that room. as i understand it I need at least a square meter of floor on the other side which is at the same level.

the platform leading to the 2 step staircase is going to be 1m x 1.2 m and sits on the floor of the lower floored room which itself has joists with 18 mm ply sheeting as flooring.

to build the platform I was thinking of 4 uprights, 3 of which would be fixed into walls. two 1 meter long beams each sitting on top of 2 of the uprights, then a few 1.2 m long joists spanning these two beams, then floorboards on top connecting through and level to the other room. all components would be suitably fixed.

what minimum thickness and width joists and beams would be ok given the area is small and the span is only 1.2 meters.
hope you can visualise it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back