Loft floor supporting beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I found the sites detailing required sizes of floor joists for MxM size of rooms; but is there similar for supporting these beams in the middle, as in front to back of house is 7m, floor joists are each 4m and meet across a central beam in the middle where the width is 4m.

So width 4m, length 7m divided in two by a supporting beam.
(Which currently is wooden about 6x4, as part of the dividing wall downstairs)

Sponsored Links
Why do you need a middle beam if you've already got a dividing wall there, or have I misunderstood?

The dividing wall on the floor below seems to be mainly hollow, plaster & lathe. The beam in question seems original part of that wall.
There might be structural vertical support to the beam hidden in the wall, its edwardian I dont know if they did that. But basically I think the front and back loft floor joists are relying on that beam.

Sponsored Links
As well as that 6x4 beam, some of the load is presumably transmitted to whatever is supporting the partition, via the studwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back