Floor tiles on ply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a read lot of post and now have to much info .I need to stop thinking and get tiling.With your advice

the floor is 22mm chipboard with 12mm ply screwed 200mm centres the area is 1m x 1.7m

1)when you prime the ply do you let it dry or tile over when wet.

2)Adhesive i was going to use Bal fast flex but £40+ and only using a small amount is there any alternitives. The guy in topps tile suggested TOPPS WOODFIX TIMBER FLOOR FLEX ADHESIVE .Also seen one by Unibond also a grout.

3)Grout which one

4)The flexible grout & adhesives does the liquid come with it or is it seperate

Any advise welcome

thanks nyck

Sponsored Links
1. Bal Fastflex should not need a primer onto ply.

2. Try Bal rapidset flexible, it will be a bit cheaper. Get it from a tile supplier, Topps can be a bit pricy. Avoid the ready mixed floor adhesive, it takes several days to set.

3. Bal widejoint with GT1 additive or Bal Superflex WJG.

4. The Rapidset & Superflex do not need a liquid added apart from water.

Jason

Thanks for the info
Is that the only down side of ready mix the setting time?Its took me over a year to get this far a few more days wouldt hurt.As this would be my cheapest option as the area is so small

nyck

I have used the Evostic "tile wooden floors" in the past and not had problems with it, If you don't need to use the room for a few days then it should be fine. Not tried it as a grout though as its hard enough to clean the odd splash of anything let alone spread it all over the surface.

Jason

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
1. Bal Fastflex should not need a primer onto ply.

Jason

Sorry mate.

BAL Fast flex onto any timber surface must be primed with at least 2 coats of primer.

Friend of a friend was the chemist who came up with fastflex.

Ty

Am i right in thinking i can use any grout/adhesive with the correct liquid it will become flexible .I only as i've got some left over when i done my concrete toilet floor.

nyck

Tylerb, In Bal's fixing guide when using Fastflex on a floating ply floor it says "do not seal or prime the surfaces to be tiled" If going onto timber floorboards then use APD primer.

Don't normally use it thats why I checked befor answering.

Jason

I've also just used Fastflex and confirmed with BAL technical support that I did not need to prime prior to tiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back